cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not returned from repairs

Anonymous
Not applicable
So, I took my Samsung S3 mini in to the O2 store to be repaired. I had taken it in several times and each time it was first suggested that I buy a new phone (phone broken and under warranty? No, I won't buy a new one thanks, you will fix this one) and then discovered that there were no loan phones. So, ultimately I managed to go in at a convenient time when there was a loan available, phone sent off and I have a lovely old school, non smart/non Internet phone. I'm told I should have the phone back in a week and as I leave the store I get the text that my phone is being sent off for repair.

One week later I get a text that the repair shop has received my phone (I was expecting to hopefully get my phone back that day). Later that day I get a text saying the problem with my phone is not covered by the warranty. I call them, they claim "physical damage" and say that there is water damage to the USB port. I have no idea how this has happened. I am annoyed. This is not even the cause of the problem I sent it in to be repaired for. But okay, I got angry, then I calmed down and was like ok, I guess I understand but I'm still pretty frustrated. Having rejected the £85 repair quote (I have since looked and can buy a new phone for less), the guy tells me he'll send it back to the store and I'll have it in a few days. That was 9 days ago.

I went into the O2 store on Friday, they looked it up, told me it had left the repair shop on Tuesday (this is when the repair man said I would get it back). They commented that this is a long time for them not to have it back yet, but they would most likely get it that day and they would call me and I would get a text that it was in. No call/text.

So, I have currently been using a crappy loan phone for over two weeks when I was told it would be a week. My phone has not even been fixed. And my phone seems to be lost in transit.

My question is, how long do I wait before the phone is considered lost and I can start demanding a replacement? Can I demand a replacement? Can I claim back for the data I have been unable to use?

Sorry to rant, I'm so frustrated. Maybe it will appear tomorrow. But in the meanwhile I just want to know where I stand (and to rant).

Thanks for listening (and by listening I mean reading).
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

O2's repairers are renowned for claiming repairs aren't covered by warranty, usually quoting water damage. Just one of the reasons we always recommend dealing directly with the manufacturers.  I have a feeling they try to claim off both the customer and Samsung so as to double profits.

Nine days is a long time to wait once it has left to be returned to the store and they should be finding out where it is rather than telling you to wait. If the phone doesn't turn up you are well within your rights to demand a replacement. I would be pushing them now to be honest but I. The meantime send off an official complaint.

http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/complain

Alternatively you can email them directly at:complaintreviewservice@o2.com

They'll aim to review your complaint within 5 working days.

Message 2 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I would keep pushing O2 to locate this phone for you. As said Anova (O2 Repairers) have a very very poor reputation from what we read on here...

If you get the phone back it may be as well to send it directly to Samsung to see what they have to say

http://www.samsung.com/uk/info/contactus.html

I am not certain what your chances are of getting a new replacement phone for the one O2 lost. According to Anova it was damaged and unusable?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 29

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Go back to the store and demand (politely) that you get given a replacement phone immediately and that you are not leaving until you get one.
It seems obvious that yours is lost so they have no choice.
I would also be send a complaint as er the advice above.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 29

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Water damage, who'd have thought it.
Message 5 of 29

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 6 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you don't get your phone back I would also report it to the police as Stolen.
Message 7 of 29

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
If you don't get your phone back I would also report it to the police as Stolen.

Stolen while at O2 being repaired, I wonder how the police would handle that? slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 29

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I doubt they would to be honest but if it has gone astray it would need to get blocked.

As far as I'm concerned o2 owe him a phone.

Message 9 of 29

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

They will of it doesn't show up that's for sure.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 29