Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone call claiming to be from o2 but they knew about my Tarriff

xtruss
Level 3: Thinker
  • 35 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I had a call yesturday from 01613935075, saying they are from o2 without any prompting from me they told me what my monthly tarriff / allowances are.  It just seemed very fishy as i had my doubts the call was actually o2. They then tried to sell my a Samsung tablet with data allowance.  My question is do o2 share / sell customer details to 3rd party's? As when googling the above number a lot of people have had a similar call and experience.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
They don't sell your data but it is available to "trusted" 3rd parties.
Our advice on here is to never sign up to anything they call you about as you are unlikely to get all the information before agreeing!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
They don't sell your data but it is available to "trusted" 3rd parties.
Our advice on here is to never sign up to anything they call you about as you are unlikely to get all the information before agreeing!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@xtruss 

Check your contact preferences in your MyO2 as you might find you have given permission for partners to contact you with offers etc.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@xtruss 

Also look in MyO2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2  and check the section My Preferences. Choose the ones you want to turn off. (Mine are all off.) This way, your details should not be leaked to 3rd parties.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 9

xtruss
Level 3: Thinker
  • 35 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for the quick replies.. I have changed my contact prefrences as recommended.  thumbsup

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@xtruss 

Keep an eye on them too as they have been known to "reset" themselves occasionally wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 9

djbsuffolk
Level 9: Fired up
  • 140 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

If you search for the number on google it consistently comes back as O2 - so as others have said it could very well be a call from a partner. 

Message 7 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@djbsuffolk wrote:

If you search for the number on google it consistently comes back as O2 - so as others have said it could very well be a call from a partner. 

And is classed as 'dangerous'. https://who-called.co.uk/Number/01613935075 

It may well be O2 although one person said they told him they were Fujitsu who 'work for O2'.

Either way, they will more than likely put you on a business contract which you neither want or need. Our advice on here is NEVER sign up to a contract from a cold caller.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 9

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Not forgetting that 'trusted' partners will also sell your details on and no matter your preferences, you could also get calls from third parties who have no affiliation to O2 other than the products they try to sell you. Block all numbers you think are suspect.

Message 9 of 9