Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Unlock code not working

Brimstone
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well, well! It's now August 2018 and this issue does not appear to have been resolved. My Samsung Galaxy Note II was locked by O2 when in April I tried to insert a new SIM after an upgrade by Virgin my network of choice that I had been happily using for over a year.

O2 sent me a SIM card free of charge to insert in order to get an unlock code from them. After many chats with their call centre in India I was asked for my IMEI number and later received an 'unlatch' code. Unfortunately that code didn't work. More chats and I finally received the same code again. Still didn't work. By this time I had entered the code more than 3 times so I was locked out of the O2 network! Even more chats and they cleared the network lock and to unlock the device I received another new unlatch code by email. That didn't work either. In all attempts I had inserted my activated Virgin SIM card as instructed and very carefully entered the 8-digit unlatch code.

Long story short, O2 are now saying the manufacturer (Samsung) can't provide another code and advised me to call Samsung. Samsung say they do not have the facility to lock a device and I should contact O2. Catch 22! My Samsung is therefore locked to O2, so I can't go back to using my Virgin SIM since that makes the device ask for an unlock code I don't have. The O2 SIM does not do this.

This seems like fraudulent activity. I have threatened to report the matter to the FCA, to no avail so FCA here I come! 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
There have been lots of unlocking problems recently which I can't help but wonder if it's to do with all O2 phones now being sold unlocked?
As no progress is been made here I suggest you raise an official complaint http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Brimstone
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5. I didn't know that O2 was now selling phones unlocked. You could be right that the reason is they have been unable to resolve the issue. Not sure yet whether that weakens my case with the FCA or strengthens it. One wonders then if most people who have encountered this problem have simply given up and bought a new mobile. O2 should not be allowed to get away with it. At the very least they should supply replacement mobiles of an equivalent quality.

They should also be open about it and admit there is a problem. Instead their call centre people have to squirm while they are lying to the customers.

Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You'll need to go through the official O2 complaints system first before the ombudsman will look at it.
Follow the process onthe link I gave you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I thought yesterday it was coincidental that we are having a spate of unlocking problems at the same time O2 are starting to sell all their phones unlocked.

I dismissed it as being ridiculous....but there again, it does make you wonder?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I'm not sure I really believe in coincidence....

Nor me. It's as if they suddenly have imprinted in their brains...'all our phone are sold unlocked now, throw away the script for unlocking'

I believe @EmilieT holds the magic key now, in that she has managed to get one or two unlocked after we call for her help? wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @Brimstone, I'm sorry to hear you've had some trouble getting your device unlocked. If you reply to my Private Message with a few more details, I'll get someone to look into this for you slight_smile

Thanks @Cleoriff for the mention!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 8 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

No problem @EmilieT  Go and work some magic tongue_winking

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 12

Spike6485
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

im having the exact same problem!! can u help?

Message 10 of 12