Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Pending Charge on Credit Card - and O2

I have a pending charge on my credit card - which was for this months bill on O2.
The charge failed because I put the wrong post code in - now I can't get the money back onto the car to enable me to pay the bill: O2 have suspended my services once because of this and I see the credit has still not appeared on my credit card balance (to enable me to pay the bill????!!!):

O2 say they cancelled the charge
The credit card compay say they have not

....and neither will speak to each other about it?!

I made 10 (yes - TEN) phone calls to both these parties over a period of three days - I seem to be dealing with the mentally inert at O2.

Anyone know what I should do - before I cancel my contract with O2 ?
Topics: 576
Solutions: 3,931

I'm not sure how a payment can fail and still debit your card? If o2 have not credited your account then they have not received your payment which is why they have put a hold on your account. Can you explain why o2 need to pay the money back on to your card so you can make the payment. Sorry but your post doesn't really make any sense? Surely if the payment failed because of an incorrect post code, it has failed so a payment shouldn't be pending.Your bank and o2 will not speak to each other as the responsibility for the payment is yours. If the payment has failed and is pending, then that will automatically reverse on your card after 5 working days which is the usual time scale. If you want the payment which is pending to be cancelled immediately, then you would have to ask o2 to fax your bank on letter-headed paper, signed, with the name and status of the sender of the fax (who needs to be a manager)
stating that o2 will not be claiming the failed payment and then your bank w3ill reverse the payment. thus cancelling the charge to your credit card. Otherwise you will need to make an alternative method of payment or wait for the initial charge to reverse off your credit card. The fact that the payment is pending means your bank cannot cancel the transaction because a credit card is a guaranteed method of payment unlike a debit card which either is either authorised or not.O2 cannot claim the payment because you have failed security due to an incorrect post code. Your bank will have rejected authorisation of the transaction because of this. In no way is o2 responsible for this in any way...it is you who have made the error so your bank have declined payment to o2. Once the authorisation has been reversed, then you can remake the repayment using the correct house number and postcode, with the security code on the signature strip of the card thus paying your bill.Once this payment has cleared o2 will remove the restriction on the phone.

So to sum up - a credit card is a guaranteed form of payment and cannot be cancelled without o2 faxing your bank although there is no onus on them to do this. A debit casrd will either be authorised or declined and a declined payment can be reprocessed and authorised straight away by processing again using the correct dtails. Good luck
Anonymous

Alice in Wonderland

""

now I can't get the money back onto the car to enable me to pay the bill:

""

I don't understand what you mean by the above statement, but I feel your pain.

Banks are like your stomach - normally you are not even aware they exist, but when something goes wrong, you can't understand why, and can't do anything about it. You just have to curl up in a corner and wait till it all goes away.

Every month I make 3 electronic payments - Mortgage, Water Bill, and Council Tax. When I make the Water Bill payment, it shows the payment as having been made today, and received by the Water Authority also today. The Council Tax is the same. The Mortgage payment (TO ANOTHER BANK, FOR GOODNESS SAKE) is shown as being made today, and to be received in 5 DAYS TIME !

Stevy seems to know what he's talking about (slightly worrying, that) so I'd follow his advice.

Again, I feel your pain.

_

Re: Alice in Wonderland

""
Stevy seems to know what he's talking about (slightly worrying, that) so I'd follow his advice.
Again, I feel your pain.

I work in a large bank with links to royalty and which gives large bonuses to the wrong people...meaning NOT me!! Smiley Very Happy
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

It's so easy to come on here and condemn O2.

They don't respond or try to defend themselves here.

I wonder why credit card companies don't have forums?

Who actually is the "mentally inert" here?

The company who couldn't take the payment due to incorrect details being entered, or the one who couldn't enter the postcode correctly? Smiley Indifferent
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1

Who actually is the "mentally inert" here?
The company who couldn't take the payment due to incorrect details being entered, or the one who couldn't enter the postcode correctly? Smiley Indifferent

Couldn't agree more, perksie :womanindifferent: