Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off device but cancel tariff ?

Intheblim
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi i bought a device and a tariff for 3 years with o2 but have lost my job and cant afford the tariff each month but can afford to pay for device - is it possible to cancel tariff and carry on paying for device ?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Hi @Intheblim 

Sorry, but that's not possible.

You can pay off the device and cancel the airtime for free but you cannot cancel airtime and continue paying instalments on device.

If you can, why not get a zero % credit card to use to buy the device which will allow you to cancel the airtime, then use the device payments you would be making to pay the credit card?

You can also switch your number to PAYG to continue to use it if you want to.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Hi @Intheblim 

Sorry, but that's not possible.

You can pay off the device and cancel the airtime for free but you cannot cancel airtime and continue paying instalments on device.

If you can, why not get a zero % credit card to use to buy the device which will allow you to cancel the airtime, then use the device payments you would be making to pay the credit card?

You can also switch your number to PAYG to continue to use it if you want to.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Intheblim
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

What if i have no choice what happens then ?

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If you have no choice, O2 will sell you debt to a collection agency who will pursue you for the money.....

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

Intheblim
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

sell the debt for the phone not the tariff ?

Message 5 of 7

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I appreciate the fact that you now find yourself unable to pay for what you signed up to but you really do not want the bailiffs pursuing you for payments and your credit rating wrecked. One possible way out is to sell the phone to then pay off the device and to cancel the airtime. Obviously you will then be without a phone but you can buy a cheaper mobile and change to payandgo or continue to use your contract sim thus paying only for the airtime.

Message 6 of 7

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Intheblim, sorry to hear about your circumstances. Let us know how you're getting on with this.

To add to the advice above, I'd also recommend getting in touch with the Payment Management team at O2 to discuss the situation. For additional information, you can check out the payment support page on our website around situations where you might have problems paying your bill, and how to contact O2 about it.

Message 7 of 7