cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying my bill from abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently moved to Ireland and closed my pay monthly account, cancelling the direct debit.

Today I received a text telling me my account was overdue (because I cancelled the d/d, the final bill was not paid.) I tried seven times to call and pay over the phone.

I was told that, because my card is not registered at the (out-of-date) address on O2 records, the payment could not go through. Yet I can make purchases anywhere in the world without having to declare my address or confirm that it matches their records.

What kind of nonsense is this? I have told the accounts people to email me a sensible way for me to pay the bill or I shall simply ignore it.

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146977 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28264 Solutions
I agree it's illogical but it is the way it has always been and unlikely to change, so if you want to avoid a hit to your credit rating you need to find another way that you can pay the bill.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Cleoriff
  • 124244 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous with hindsight cancelling the DD was a mistake. However look at this guide there are various ways to pay included http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Ways-to-pay-guidelines/m-p/874982

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 16

MI5
  • 146977 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28264 Solutions
You could post a cheque?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 124244 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
You could post a cheque?

They could...and thats in the guide....:smileytongue:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 16

MI5
  • 146977 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28264 Solutions
Jolly good show old bean slight_smile
Message 5 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 124244 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Jolly good show old bean slight_smile

Yep...certainly missed all this. Good job you are back and....the sun is shining....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 16

MI5
  • 146977 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28264 Solutions
Splendid tongue
Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cancelling the DD was neither here nor there. The problem I mentioned was that O2 seem incapable of accepting a card payment because my card is not longer registered to the address they have on record. Yet I can make purchases anywhere in the world without that problem.

Message 8 of 16

MI5
  • 146977 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28264 Solutions
I agree it's illogical but it is the way it has always been and unlikely to change, so if you want to avoid a hit to your credit rating you need to find another way that you can pay the bill.
Message 9 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 124244 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Cancelling the DD was neither here nor there.

I disagree with that comment @Anonymous the fact you cancelled your DD is reason you are having this issue. 

However, your point about the card they will not accept is relevant. As said above...this is how it has always been. We have recently had a major overhaul of the payment system ...it's a pity this wasn't addressed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 16