cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying hidden VAT charges on my contract?? Very misleading - cannot be legal?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This cannot be legal... At no point did anyone say to me when I took out a iPhone 6 contract, that I would be paying nearer £40 than the £33 that I signed a contract for!

Look at the documents I have received and tell me where, anywhere, it says that this hidden VAT charge is being added.

I have called O2 directly this morning as soon as I received the ridiculous statement - he was horrendously unhelpful.  Just told me to 'go instore and sort it out' - I am not going out of my way, paying train fare/parking, to sort out O2's misleading contract details.

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Vat has caught out people before too.

If you perform a search their are a few posts on the subject.

One such thread http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/vat/m-p/668151/highlight/true#M68473
Message 2 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
To add this is something to be aware of too.

http://www.o2.co.uk/desktop/prices

If your still within your cooling off period then you have the option to return the phone and cancel.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,question=ref(user):str(Mobile),t...
Message 3 of 47

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I must agree with the OP...It IS misleading.The documentation does not show at any point that VAT will be added on top of the 'recurring total' shown.

In fact nowhere does it show the words 'Vat Not Included' which may have given some sort of clue.

I know people will come along and say 'but vat is always added'. That isn't good enough in my opinion ...

Add the vat...but please show the cost before and after vat is added... slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 47

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Consumer tariffs are quoted including vat and business tariff are ex-vat.

If this is your first bill it will be higher than normal as you are billed for the first few days until the billing date is set up and then billed for a month in advance.

Check if you have two billing periods online in My O2.

More here : https://www.o2.co.uk/assets/O2HybridNav/Static-files/BillRedesign/BillRedesignHtmlDemo/PB_consumer_0...

Message 5 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, You r right you cant add Vat on Vat, but O2 don't do that> Ur line rental will be advertised with vat included but on the bill the amount will show without vat, the same applies for any extra call charges the Vat will be added in the end.

If possible can u open the tariff charges and minutes so that I can use real figures and explain date?

Message 6 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is a terrible practise!

Is this an O2 thing, or do all companies do the same? If so I will try and request a cancellation as this is a joke!

I have never, ever paid for something in the UK, and then to have a hidden charge slapped on the end of it, it just seems to apply to 'contracts'? This isn't USA, where you can go into any shop, see a price, pay at the counter, and then VAT is attached.

Is this purely a O2 Refresh thing then, based off the links above? Can I make it so that it isn't an upgrade, and can start again as a 'new customer' to get out of this VAT farce?
Message 7 of 47

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
1st bill is normal, you'll find when you get it it will show a wider scope of time than a month.
Message 8 of 47

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

My thoughts too @viridis , easy enough to check online as there will be two billing periods... 

Message 9 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

So you're saying that next month, I will 100% pay solely £33 per month.  No one is saying this as concrete.  I am expected some more hidden charges coming my way...

I am fully aware of the £1.xx added to my statement for the extra few days inbetween contracts, I am more concered with the VAT.

Message 10 of 47