Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying From Abroad

JeanF
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Evening all, I am just so cross with O2 and really cannot believe what is happening.  Let me explain.

For 10 years I have lived in France and have set up an arrangement whereby O2 had continuous access to my credit card although it is a UK bank card with a French address.  No problems year after year until O2 wanted to collect my huge £11 bill in January.  The text messages started to flow to tell me that the bank had refused to pay when they applied for the money.  I checked with my bank, who laughed at the suggestion I had insufficient funds, and said they believed that O2 had reset their systems.  I spent four hours speaking to people via the chat line, and eventually said I would cancel my contract.  As you will well know this gets you transfered to the we must not lose a customer department who offered the world to get me to change my mind.  When I asked how I was supposed to pay they suggested via the website.  Pointing out that this was not possible it dawned on them, and they took the 30 days notice that was required telling me it would end the contract on the 11th February.

As I don't like to owe money I came to this forum and found an address that I could send a cheque to.  I paid them in full, less the £3.50 they wanted to charge me for late payment.  I sent the letter with a confirmation that my contract would finish on the above date, and did not consider I was liable for the late payment charge.  That cheque was cashed through my bank, and my phone that had been cut off was working again.

Today I find out that they had applied to my bank again for two months of payment, and had received it.  My  O2 account now shows me in credit.

Clearly the advice that you give out is not quite correct.  They can obtain money from a UK account even when the account is registered to a foreign address.  Is this a step forward for O2 into the modern age, or just what is going on?  Any suggestions that might help others in the future would be appreciated, meanwhile I will attempt to phone accounts tomorrow, make sure they cancel my contract, and repay me the money that is due.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm pretty sure that as long as it's a UK bank they can get paid.
It's people without a UK bank that fails.
I assume there was a glitch in January (we hear of them often) which has now been resolved.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think @jonsie who moved to Thailand still kept his UK bank (Nationwide?) and O2 payments were taken from that. Never had a problem as far as I am aware...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm sure he did.
It's the bank location that is important - my French bank account used to pay bills over there is registered to my UK address. Never had a single problem with any direct debit or standing order.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It would also appear that the advice given to you on here previously was correct too.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/How-do-I-pay-my-bill-with-a-non-UK-card/m-p/1102323#M14401...

Currently using:
Message 5 of 9

JeanF
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am sorry to disagree, but just look at the website and you will find that without a UK postcode it is not possible.  I tried to pay with my card person to person, and they could not do it.  The banks know where you live, but O2 do not.  Much smaller companies manage to deal with the fact that people are on the move these days.  Why not O2 that is supposed to be International?

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
But they are taken payment from your uk bank account, so it must be possible.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

JeanF
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It is possible, I have done it for 10 years, but to do so you have to make O2 believe that you live in the UK.  For years my address for O2 purposes was their own HQ, suggested and set up by one of the managers.  To have just a UK bank and a foreign address doesn't work.

Message 8 of 9

JeanF
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just an update.  My phone was cut off on the agreed date, so that is fine.  Looking at my latest bill I still owe O2 money, but look at my payment history I am in credit.  Tried to phone CS from a landline, and was put into a loop that didn't want me to speak to anyone, and cut me off.  In the next few days my next bill is due to be raised, so I will watch and see if they can sort things out without me spending more time trying to contact them.  They really are not very good.

Message 9 of 9