Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Paying 12 months rental in one go - people with poor credit

Hi Guys
As per the title, I have poor credit, not because of any debts, just because I don't have any debt or credit, nor do I want to lumber myself with loads of debt
However, this is a long shot, i've been refused a sim only plan on contract, does anyone know if o2 have a facility to accept me, but I'd pay the years rental upfront in one go, this way i'd be even less of a risk as i'd be providing my own phone and the rental will be paid and i'd just be sticking to inclusive calls etc
I've spoken to customer services who couldn't grasp what I was talking about
I know it's a long shot but it can't hurt to ask
Many thanks
Dave
Anonymous

Re: Paying 12 months rental in one go - people with poor cre

Was it o2 that declined you or another company?
o2's required credit score for sim only is much lower than for the 18/24 month contracts.
They won't allow you to pay for the line rental up front in order for you to get accepted, however, they may ask you to put down a deposit which will be refunded after 3 months clear billing.
Anonymous

Hiya
Thanks for the quick reply
It was o2 themselves, I wasn't asked for a deposit, it was a straight decline. I thought paying all of the line rental upfront would help.
I remember companies back in the day where you paid £200 go a phone and line rental for a year and nearly everyone was accepted, I wish these packages would make a comeback
Anonymous

A straight decline on a sim only? Now, this makes me think that there is something other than your lack of credit history that's caused the straight decline.
As I mentioned, the credit score requirement for a sim only is low so even with no previous history of credit you should be able to get one.
Are you on the voters roll at your current address? If not this always causes a straight delcine.
Anonymous

Hiya
Yep i'm on the electoral register and have been at my old address for 5 years and at my new address for over 3 years, i've only had 2 credit searches in 3 years, one for the housing association apartment where I live, the other for sky and another for 3 on a 30 day sim only which was cancelled after 2 months with a settled balance
All my utility accounts were transferred from my previous address that i've had for years and on direct debit, i've got my credit file which shows literally nothing except my utilities as I don't have any credit.
I might just have to get a credit card, spend a bit then pay it off but build up some history, but i'm 34 and never been in debt
Anonymous

Yeah it does seem like the only thing holding you back is not having a credit account.
Getting a credit card is a good idea to help build your score. If I were you I'd take out the card then set up a direct debit to clear the full balance every month. Then, simply make a couple of purchases each month and make sure you've left the money for them in your bank account for the DD to take. This way it shows you spending and paying off credit regulary without fail.
Anonymous

A straight decline on a sim only? Now, this makes me think that there is something other than your lack of credit history that's caused the straight decline.
As I mentioned, the credit score requirement for a sim only is low so even with no previous history of credit you should be able to get one.
Are you on the voters roll at your current address? If not this always causes a straight delcine.

I agree, the credit score is very low on a simo.
Have you emailed creditfilereferrals@o2.com to ask them to look at why you've been declined? It might not actually be on the credit check but on the ID check (you need £1.01 in your account when you apply so it can do the card check).
Anonymous

I would double check that the 3 sim contract was cancelled and marked as settled correctly on your credit file if this was the last thing you applied for via credit check.
Topics: 25
Kudos: 275
Solutions: 39

Yeah it does seem like the only thing holding you back is not having a credit account.
Getting a credit card is a good idea to help build your score. If I were you I'd take out the card then set up a direct debit to clear the full balance every month. Then, simply make a couple of purchases each month and make sure you've left the money for them in your bank account for the DD to take. This way it shows you spending and paying off credit regulary without fail.

Or do what I do, have a credit card with the same bank with internet banking and then pay it manually via internet banking or by the cash machine a couple of days before its due to be paid Smiley Wink No need to pay it off immediately.
But just to add the advice here, don't use the credit card for small purchases all the time when starting out. It can also be flagged as a fraudulent transaction(s) if there are number of them in a short space of time. The banks like to see someone spending and in the hope of it not being paid off and get some compound interest out of you. One day they'll increase your limit in the hope of it not being paid off....be disciplined though and its a great benefit.
Going back to the original point of rejection, are you sure that the address is correct? It been well known on here that new builds or flats have the wrong number associated with it and o2 uses a different database than say the electricity company. Its also been known that the address isn't even registered with the council by a builder! If the addresses don't match then that could be the reason for a rejection.
Anonymous

I passed the URU? check
The only thing was it took a couple of goes to get my address right, if you enter my house number and postcode it brings up loads of apartments but with gaps in the numbers, some are missing
But if you enter Apartment xxx and my postcode it comes up!, it's on the Royal Mail database as i've lived here 3 years
Now I know how to enter the address for it to come up straightaway i'll go to the o2 store and try again, armed with tons of utility bills to prove my address
My 3 account is showing as settled with £0.00 balance