cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payforit - 3rd Party Charges on Bill

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to know if 02 offer any guarantees regarding 3rdParty charges on my bill.

It's just I have been listening to a BBC Radio 4 programme this afternoon about the problems with
payforit system that mobile operators have setup for autmatic charging. Apparently you only have to click

on a link to be trapped into it, you don't even have supply your phone number. I'd like to know if 02 provide services to block 3rd party charges? Next time I go for a mobile phone contract this will be my first question to any operator.

Kind Regards

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

The OP only has to ask for Charge to Mobile to be turned off if they don't want to use it.

Personally I think it's a good system and you can learn all about it here: http://www.o2.co.uk/chargetomobile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 11 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Disagree - The service should be advertised up front when the contract is taken out. The way it works now is open to abuse.
Message 12 of 20

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

for those wanting it then it's a good thing. I just worry about younger and unknowing customers. .....

Message 13 of 20

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Whether you agree or not it's been around for a couple of years and we don't see complaints about it here.

Most of the UK mobile suppliers will have this or a similar system in use.

It's really up to you to find out what services are available prior to taking out a contract, to read all these out to every customer is totally impracticable as it woud take all day.

It doesn't appear that you have actually used it yet so I'm not sure why you are so worried.

In the future more and more services will be paid for in this way, it's the future.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 14 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just phoned o2 - and disabled this feature. Comment from rep was , "it should be illegal". Says it all.
Message 15 of 20

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

This is the future whether you agree with it or not.  Me ? I'll stick to the old ways. 

Message 16 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

I work in IT Security. Proactive prevention is the best form of protection. This is definately not the future. 

Message 17 of 20

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I work in IT Security. Proactive prevention is the best form of protection. This is definately not the future. 

It definitely is.:smileyhappy:
That's only your opinion, it's very safe to use and has built in protection, as said before if you don't want it turn it off.

Message 18 of 20

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Whether you work in it security or not,  it is the future I'm afraid. Opt out by all means but more and more things are being introduced to smart phones. 

Message 19 of 20

SteveUK
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So how do I demonstrate to O2 that I was "totally unaware" of what I clicked on?  Surely if it involves O2 paying money out they are failing their shareholders if they do not stonewall and point out that I must have known what I clicked on.

Message 20 of 20