Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Pay monthly : uk residency from 3 years mandatory???

hello
my name is Gabrio and i have from almost one year a pay as you go with o2; today i went to a store and i wanted to do a contract with a 27£ bonus deal with the samsung galaxy s2.
now we process the details, they put in the comp the info and the bottom line is, i could do it but i was required to put down a deposit of 300£ right away for the simple fact that, i need 3 years residency in UK.
i am italian, i have a job in london and i can largely pay a bill of JUST 27£ a month and besides i could put down another warranty with other 2 credit cards from italy that i have or show my job contract.
during the process with the sales guy, i was asked if i had a job but they never asked me to see my job contract, which again does not make any sense, should't they see proof of what i am saying?? that a) i really have a job and b) that my salary can cover the amount?
yet with all this info, the people in the store said i cannot do it unless i pay 300£ deposit. this sounds absurd to me considering that i would be doing this deal for the ONLY reason that the phone comes in for free so if i have to put down 300£ then i would buy the phone myself somewhere else, it just doesn't make any sense since the phone costs 440 in this case.
i find it quite stupid to put this kind of "limitation", because i could have been living in UK and having problems with paying my rent for example, BUT then yes technically i would have been living 3 years in UK.
this procedure doesn't give any info regarding the fact that i am able to pay the bill or not, as it would the fact that i have a job, or if i had credit cards active under my name that can cover the bills.

any advice about it?
thanks
gabrio
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Pay monthly : uk residency from 3 years mandatory???

Part of the process is doing a credit search, this tells them whether you are relliable and will keep up the payments on your account. It will also validate the other information you give.
As you don't have much financial history in the UK, you wont have a good credit score. You also have only been at your address for a short time.
So its likely you'll need to pay a deposit in order to get a contract.
Highlighted
Anonymous

thanks however i think is not an efficient method. as there is nothing more "reliable" than showing my job contract in my opinion.
would you pay 300£ in deposit if the phone costs 440? i dont think so. if they asked me 100£ maybe i would have thought about it... totally pointless.
anyway take care
gabrio
Highlighted
Anonymous

You have a job with a contract of employment, great, so does literally everyone who has a job in the UK.
As prking has correctly stated you've been in the UK for hardly any time so hence the need for a deposit for a credit account that has a handset to go with it that's worth nearly £500.
Until an EU wide credit report comes along this will always be the case.
Anyway, you'll get the £300 back after 3 months clear billing.
Highlighted
Anonymous

thanks however i think is not an efficient method. as there is nothing more "reliable" than showing my job contract in my opinion.
would you pay 300£ in deposit if the phone costs 440? i dont think so. if they asked me 100£ maybe i would have thought about it... totally pointless.
anyway take care
gabrio

So you want to change the way the UK financial system works? Its not going to happen!
Highlighted
Anonymous

anyway take care
gabrio

So you want to change the way the UK financial system works? Its not going to happen!

i guess you're right... i find things to be excessive sometimes in the UK.... however i understand that companies do not want problems of people not "solving" and it appears that they lost trust in people many years ago..so this is their way of doing things. peace.
gabrio
Highlighted
Anonymous

Put it this way.
Would you give a £500 phone to someone and let them run up a bill, when they have only been in their job for a year, they don't appear on the electoral roll and have very little financial history (you don't know how much they already owe)? You'd be mad to do that without taking a deposit.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Giving a contract to someone just on the basis they have a job is a massive risk, especially given the current financial situation, when people are being made redundant regularly.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Put it this way.
Would you give a £500 phone to someone and let them run up a bill, when they have only been in their job for a year, they don't appear on the electoral roll and have very little financial history (you don't know how much they already owe)? You'd be mad to do that without taking a deposit.

we can discuss this as much as you want....if i have 2 credit cards, to me those should be enough proof, even if they are from italy, but apparently they wanted UK credit cards. for what is worth, in italy you can easily get a contract for the cell phone and have payment on credit card, no problem and no "credit check" whatsoever...if you don't have money later on and cannot pay the bill, they call you once, then twice then they close the contract and you're in a blacklist from then on.
anyway i think i will pay the 300£, get the phone and claim the deposit back after 3 months, this way, i get the phone i want and the cash back so in 3.5 months time all will be well.
just went to store earlier and they said that is just like that.
gabrio
Highlighted
Anonymous

Giving a contract to someone just on the basis they have a job is a massive risk, especially given the current financial situation, when people are being made redundant regularly.

that's true, and that is why i was also providing credit cards.