cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay and Go

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do Pay & Go phones have a monthly tariff? I thought PAYG meant that you could pay for just what you used. Paying a minimum amount every month seems to defeat the whole point of having a PAYG phone. If I don't top up one month will my phone not work or will I be automatically charged at premium rates? Am I misunderstanding this?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Your phone will still work, you just won't get a monthly allowance. If you have to top up every month you can change tariff to suit your needs but a 30 day sim only 'contract' will give better allowances.

If you want to top up when you like and just use your credit then call customer service and ask to be put on the Basic tariff or you can change to Big Talker where you keep the credit.

Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
or look at giffgaff who are owned by o2 but give the straight option of just using credit as and when you wish.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Be aware that giffgaff's data is extremely slow though. So if it's calls n texts then they're great, but if u want mobile data at O2 speeds then giffgaff isn't the one.

No disrespect to @MI5 like I said calls n texts on gg are great.
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It depends on your area tho....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
It depends on your area tho....

A bit like every provider then

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The bandwidth that gg have is quite limited compared to O2 (even though it's the same network) so esp densely populated areas will see slower data speeds.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7