cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay & Go. You can pay, but you can never go.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought O2 Pay & Go with the exact purpose to use it a year later abroad. I was asured in store that the Pay&Go phones are not locked for O2 mobile network. Being on holiday in Europe I had a problem with a local sim-card. On coming back I called the Customer Support and they say: No, no it's not us. It was that European network.
Now I am in the US, wasting a month for awaiting for unlocking details. Having been promised twice so far to check my email, spent hours chatting with agents just to be asked againn and again to top up and only than they will send me the unlocking details.
Eventually, I qiuted saying good bye to O2 and just feel sorry for wasting my time and money on roaming with them.
Every time I asked them to unlock my phone they asked me for new additional info, and then told me to wait for a week, then for a week and now more than 30 days later and an unfair request to top up 15 pounds maintaining balance (which I can't spend on anything. It should be there for yet another 7 days) I am still with a locked phone. I've just given up.
Stay away from O2. There are much better mobile networks in the UK.

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can only unlock your phone on a uk o2 phone whilst using a o2 phone signal in the uk. 

Good luck with your new carrier but I suspect considering your posts you will be in a similar situation.

Safe travels.

Message 11 of 33

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I've unlocked a few phones with O2 so it does work. You do have to have an O2 signal unfortunatly I believe it's a security precaution.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 12 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why do you think I'll be in a similar situation? I've travelled a lot in my life and never been in the situation like this before. When I bought phones from other networks I was given a clear info from the very beginning unlike O2. Thank you for good luck wishes. Same to you
Message 13 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot for your info. If O2 agents had been as efficient and clear as you I wouldn't have such a problem which was caused by incompetent employees. But aren't people working for the company represent its message and policy? If O2 lets the employees mislead the customer with inaccurate information and then leaves the customer with it just like that? Should I keep quiet and pretend nothing happened? Yes, I had to do this and that, but I relied on the info given to me by O2 representatives. I can't be blamed for that.

Message 14 of 33

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
No of course not. It's a shame you wer not given the correct information. Unfortunatly O2 employ thousands of staff it's impossible to make sure they are all up to standard. I struggle with 5 staff haha.

There's a complaints email address I can find for you if you'd like?

Sorry it's not an easy fix.

I do envy you travelling so much. I don't get to leave the country as much as I'd like to.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 15 of 33

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2208 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@liquid

You have to be able to unlock it on a non-UK network, 'cause in Germany are maaaany people with an iPhone who got it from UK. My uncle has one too. But you have to do 2 calls to UK numbers.

[And btw, 15 pound are nothing, I would be lucky to be able to have some troubles and pay such a mini-price, over here unlocking costs 200€ (162.42 GBP)]

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 16 of 33

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form is the form to use to request unlocking

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 17 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't help anyone but as one of the 5 people who developed the original standards that became payg over 20 years ago we developed it specifically for people to be able to travel to other countries, buy a local sim and pop it in the phone without any need to involve the original operator. It is frustrating to see all the contraints that operators have managed to put on the service.

Message 18 of 33

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Your claim to have created the basis of PAYG?

Intriguing, what do you do now?

Welcome to the forum:)
Message 19 of 33

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

As far as I'm aware you fill in the unlock form and £15 is taken from the credit. Unless you have an iphone an unlock code is emailed to you which you then enter into the phone.

Is this what happened with you?

How do I unlock my phone so it can be used on other networks? | Support | O2

Message 20 of 33