cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay & Go Data Usage USA

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sure the answer is on here somewhere but I can't find it!!! I'm heading to USA for 5 days later this month & was wondering if there was a data bolt on I can get? I don't plan on using much much but I'm horrified at the £6 for 1mb that I keep seeing, grateful for any help, thanks
Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144833 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
Not that I am aware of, sorry. Using a local SIM card may be cheaper for you or buying a "burn phone" from Walmart when you get there.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144833 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
Not that I am aware of, sorry. Using a local SIM card may be cheaper for you or buying a "burn phone" from Walmart when you get there.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

more details here 

Data Abroad Bolt On

Increase your data limit while abroad from 50MB (or £40) a month to 200MB (or £120) a month.

Email and browse the internet when you're abroad for less.

Our Heavy User Bolt On increases your standard data limit while abroad from 50MB (or £40) a month to 200MB (or £120) a month. In simple terms, this means that the maximum you'll be charged for using data abroad is £40 a month unless you opt to take the Heavy User option.

It won't cost you anything up-front to take this data option. It simply lets us know that you're happy to increase your data limit (and charges) while abroad.

Possibly best to use local sim and wifi as much as possible (hotspots,etc)

Message 3 of 11

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@adriannadavey that only applies to pay monthly as far as I know as it applies per billing cycle

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 11

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@jojo19744711 as long as you have a phone that supports wifi just turn off cell / mobile data and use the plentyfull free wifi in the usa

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the answers, hoping for plentiful, free WiFi, as it's $80 for the 5 days at the hotel on their WiFi which I refuse to pay!
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

My friends went to New York for 2 weeks last summer and said plenty of free wifi flying around!

Have a good time!

Message 7 of 11

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

JUst look for all the usual places coffe shops and fast food resturants. Where in the usa are you headding?

you could look at sites like this to find them http://www.openwifispots.com/

Apple Watch series 4

Message 8 of 11

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

If you are wanting to call or text people in the UK while you are in the USA there are numerous free apps that you can use (depending on your phone), such as whatsapp, bbm and viber.  These can easily be run through wifi so you won't have to pay anything. 

Here is more information regarding the international PAYG bolt on for people travelling to the USA:

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad

To the best of my knowledge there is no cheaper bolt on option than the £6.00 per MB of data.

I have looked at the option about not using all of the data and if you do not use the bolt on then the following applies:

"If you only use a small amount, then you'll only pay for this small amount. Data is charged in 1KB increments, so a made for mobile web page of 10KB would cost only 6p in the Rest of the World."

Message 9 of 11

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@gemz4the1 wrote:

If you are wanting to call or text people in the UK while you are in the USA there are numerous free apps that you can use (depending on your phone), such as whatsapp, bbm and viber.

The people you're contacting must have these apps too.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 11