Did you mean: 

Pay Monthly extra charges need blocking

Shaista
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,

I have a contract mobile for my 11 year old.
I have recently checked my bills and I have been charged £3 a week by some company called red27mobile. He has not downoladed or consented to any such, I have contacted this scam company and they asked me to provide his birth certificate. I mean first you scam people and then ask them silly things like birth certificate of a minor to arrange a refund?
I need assistance with blocking extra spending on my phone so He can not click or purchase anything online be it free or paid. I just want to go with my monthly payment. I have tried checking for spending cap and blocking on the website but without any luck. It would be very helpful if someone can get me out of this misery. Thanks.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
See some help on the links below:
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...
http://payforitsucks.co.uk/
You can ask for a spend cap/charge to mobile block to be added to the contract and that should stop any further charges...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 6

pedrobedro
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 24 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Before you do anything else send them the STOP text to 57977 from the phone which is being charged.
You are now 4th in a queue, stop pushing. All our calls are recorded for training purposes so don't do anything stupid.
Huawei Honor 8x
Message 3 of 6

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Shaista wrote:
Hi,

I have a contract mobile for my 11 year old.
I have recently checked my bills and I have been charged £3 a week by some company called red27mobile. He has not downoladed or consented to any such, I have contacted this scam company and they asked me to provide his birth certificate. I mean first you scam people and then ask them silly things like birth certificate of a minor to arrange a refund?
I need assistance with blocking extra spending on my phone so He can not click or purchase anything online be it free or paid. I just want to go with my monthly payment. I have tried checking for spending cap and blocking on the website but without any luck. It would be very helpful if someone can get me out of this misery. Thanks.

@Shaista 

If I were you, I'd be sending a Letter before Action instead of the Birth Certificate! Unless Red27 can PROVE that your son entered into a contract with them, the charges are unlawful and should be refunded.

To stop this happening again, ask for a "Charge to Mobile" bar on the account. Make it clear that you want all "third party" charges barred. Some O2 staff are unfamiliar with this bar and will suggest a "premium rate" bar. This is ineffective against these charges (although you might want to use it to stop outgoing premium texts).

It is worth always insisting on a charge to mobile bar for any account. The problem with "charge to mobile" is that it is not an FCA regulated payment method, so O2 have no incentive or responsibility to prevent fraud. As you have sadly discovered you won't get any help from O2 with these charges.

More information in the faq linked in my signature.

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 4 of 6

bigdavie88
  • 144 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 14 Solutions

Companies like these do not charge you out of the blue for no reason.

Their service has to be opted into via an app, game , text or email. 

I recommend you check which apps or games your 11 year old has downloaded recently as they may be linked to the company chillax.

Their info below:

RED Digital Cinema is a US based camera manufacturer without any affiliation to Chillax Games or any of their subsidiaries.

If you are attempting to contact Chillax Games or Red27Mobile, please contact them directly using the following email address: support@red27mobile.com

Message 5 of 6

Payforit_Sucks
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@bigdavie88 wrote:

Companies like these do not charge you out of the blue for no reason.

Their service has to be opted into via an app, game , text or email. 

This is a common misunderstanding. O2 make NO CHECK WHATSOEVER that charges made in this way were lawful. These companies are allowed to submit charges against O2 numbers without evidence of consent.

There have recently been a number of scams where random numbers have become "subscribed" to these services. We tested a number of these services ourselves, and were able to subscribe our own phones to "services" from a WiFi conneted laptop or a completely different phone.

To ensure that a subscription is genuinely wanted, after entering their phone number, the subscriber should be sent a text containing a PIN. Correctly entering the PIN into the signup screen activates the subscription. This ensures that the phone number has not been mistyped, or entered by someone with malicious or fraudulent intent.

This video shows the issue. The PIN, which is supposed to be sent by text to the phone, was also displayed on the screen. Several "services" had the same issue.

We have found other "services" where the PIN verification is circumvented in other ways. In one case entering "0999" as the PIN always worked.

So it simply isn't true that 

"companies like these do not charge you out of the blue for no reason.

Their service has to be opted into via an app, game , text or email. "

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 6 of 6