cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partner going to France (he's on a different network), will I be charged if he calls or texts me?

Anonymous
Not applicable
As the subject title states, he's going to France for a week, we want to stay in touch via phone, but how much will it cost me if he calls me there? He is on Tesco mobile.
Will it cost to receive text messages too?

Lastly, how much will it cost me to text him?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146981 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions
If you are staying in the UK it will cost you nothing more than normal.
They (the ones abroad) will pay the relevant roaming charges that their networks charge.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Calls will be charged based on Tesco Mobiles roaming rates.

You will not be charged to receive the call if you are remaining in the UK.

There will be no charges for you to receive text messages, nor will it cost you any more to text (as to your network you are texting a UK number)
Message 2 of 18

MI5
  • 146981 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions
If you are staying in the UK it will cost you nothing more than normal.
They (the ones abroad) will pay the relevant roaming charges that their networks charge.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 18

jonsie
  • 93280 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

jonsie
  • 93280 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

By far the best option is for him to use wifi and apps such as Messenger or whatsapp but you both need to have the apps installed.

Message 5 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 124259 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7514 Solutions

I go to Spain frequently and have discovered all the wonderful things you can do over Wifi when contacting the UK... My bill is never much higher after a week or so away.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the answers so far.

It looks as though Tesco changes 16p per minute to call from France to UK which isn't too bad.
How much would it cost me to call him from UK to France but as he is still on a UK network?

One more thing, it seems to say on the 02 international page that it would cost be 20p per text to send to France from here, or is it that charge only if he wasn't on a UK network?

Thanks for clearing this up, it's all new to me 😞
Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are staying in the UK and have allowances then you call him rather than the other way round, these will just come off your allowances as normal.

Message 8 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 124259 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7514 Solutions

Thats the joy of having family on O2 when I go abroad a lot...they ring me...costs them nothing. It costs me a 50p connection fee.....but then we can chat for just under an hour (If we are in that sort of mood):smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 18

MI5
  • 146981 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions
If you are in the UK, calling or texting a UK number, it will be exactly the same as if he was sitting next to you in your front room.
It is only the person abroad who pays any roaming charges to send texts or make and receive calls. (Receiving texts are always free too wherever you are).
Message 10 of 18