cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid the bill twice

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am on o2 pay monthly plan. I recently wanted my o2 bill cleared so i paid o2 via my debit card before the date of direct debit. Now i have got my bank statement showing two transactions for o2 for same month. Can anyone help me what to do next as they have charged me twice for the month.

Thank you

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If your account is in credit the payment will come out of your credit. Only anything not in your account will come through DD. You could have, for example a £20 a month bill and £10 credit on your account and they would only request £10 from your bank.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You need to speak to cusyomer service to have the balance credit paid into your account. Be prepared to wait a week though. You could just leave the money on the account to pay your next bill.

For future reference you need to leave around 6 workings days before you make payment otherwise the direct debit will also take payment.

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Been there, done that.........not with O2 though. What I do now if I want to clear an account early is pay the balance by debit card and then cancell the direct debit before the due date. Might cause a bit of a headache if you want to keep a contract with O2, as you would have to go through setting the whole direct debit up again. If memory serves me correctly, I think you need to fill in a direct debit mandate when you take out a new contract anyway.?
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

dont cancel it as then you will have a black mark on your credit rating & you will have a very hard time of getting credit for things

Message 4 of 9

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You don't need to cancel the direct debit, you have the option of suspending it for a month through your bank.

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

So if don't cancel anything, does that mean they won't deduct any amount from my account? or they will keep doing direct debit transactions and do nothing about the extra payment?

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If your account is in credit the payment will come out of your credit. Only anything not in your account will come through DD. You could have, for example a £20 a month bill and £10 credit on your account and they would only request £10 from your bank.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I checked and at the moment the credit says £0... is there anything i should do now.. i am out of town so can't call them..

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

dont cancel it as then you will have a black mark on your credit rating & you will have a very hard time of getting credit for things

I was talking about cancelling after the balance has been paid and the account cleared i.e. at the end of a contract. I am not advocating that people cancel a direct debit simply to stop payments part way through a contract. I have cancelled direct debits in the past, and set them up again with the same companies, without any detriment to my credit rating.

Message 9 of 9