Did you mean: 

Paid off device but 1 year left in contract

Chrispee
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,

I took out a 2 year deal through Carphone Warehouse which was 28 a month for device and Airtime (£10 + £18 billed separately) My o2 tells me I have paid off the device, yet my airtime bill only is now over £30 a month as standard.

What are my options for cancelling the contract and going Sim only? Or to another network for that matter. Will there be a cancellation fee on airtime with a year left? I believe it is an o2 unlimited 24 if that helps. Just spent 45 mins on livechat only to be cut-off! It also seems ridiculous that airtime now is more than handset and airtime a few months ago.

Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you've had the contract for 24 months you are free to change to SIM only or upgrade to a new contract..
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Hi @Chrispee

Your best bet is to ring Customer Services

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

in the morning - 8-8:30am is the best time to avoid a long wait - and explain your situation, as we have no access to your account. 

Do not use live chat, speak to someone in Customer Services; they are better able to deal with account queries and can advise you on the best way forward.

Welcome to the forum, by the way Welcome

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
If it’s a deal with Carphone then it’s not a Refresh contract so you will have to pay off what’s left on the contract. Your monthly tariff x how many months left
Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you've had the contract for 24 months you are free to change to SIM only or upgrade to a new contract..
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 11

Chrispee
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've had the contract for 12 of the 24..what I don't understand is why it is now £30 for only airtime yet was 28 for both airtime and handset a few months ago. Will speak to O2 later.
Message 5 of 11

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
It might be the April RPI price rise - all contracts are subject to an increase around then.
But the price you are seeing is not just airtime - non o2 contracts (ie, non refresh) do not have separate amounts for the handset and the airtime.
They get 1 amount which is how much it will be (subject to an RPI increase) for the length of the contract.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

To understand it here’s my guide to how O2 Refresh works but is not available through avenues like carphone warehouse 

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-and-Feedback/A-Guide-To-O2-Refresh/td-p/877701

Message 7 of 11

Chrispee
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, 

thanks for your replies all. I understand that as i didn't deal directly with O2, I'm not on refresh, but what baffles me still is that the original contract was very clearly £18 + £10 separately for airtime and device, they would be 2 different bills on my bank statement, yet now that the device plan is paid off (according to my O2) this has now jumped to just an Airtime plan (and 1 bill) of over £30 a month. Am i being stupid here? 

Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
What phone did you get?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 11

Chrispee
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a Galaxy S7

Message 10 of 11