cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG first top up - Voucher? I never knew that!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just been told I've wasted ages trying to top up a new PAYG SIM for the first time. Online don't work, by phone don't work. Then I'm told the first top up needs to be done by voucher.

Not once does it say anywhere that this is necessary anywhere on the information I was given with the SIM. 

Thanks O2 for wasting so much of my time. Rubbish!

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

???? who's told u that? That's incorrect!

How are u trying to top up and what error are u getting?

Edit: just read it again and u tried them all. Have u tried a different card?

Message 2 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable
You do not need a voucher for the first top up, if you go into your local O2 store, ask them for a sim, then hand over the money & they'll top up the sim for you there
Message 3 of 40

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I just did a first top up online no problem but if you are trying with a Maestro card they don't accept them anymore.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 40

jonsie
  • 92911 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 5 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like it was
Message 6 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, live chat.

I had a SIM delivered a couple of weeks back on PAYG. I added it to my account of two existing Pay Monthly accounts using a code the website sent. So good so far.

I then went online to top up, added all my card details (first time using the card to top up) and the message each time was "there seems to be a problem". So, I try 4444 I think that's the number. Again, I go through the process of adding my UK Visa card details and again I get "There seems to be a problem".

The card is fine! I tried each process at least 6 times over the last few days.

I was gibe a number to call on live chat and I'm told I must get a voucher from a shop or an O2 store first time. I moan about this to the live chat person as this is the first time I've heard about this.

Anyway, not sure quite what to do now.

Message 7 of 40

jonsie
  • 92911 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 8 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, it's not the end of the world having to stop off at a shop it's just annoying not being able to do it online or by calling 4444. 

One person gave me a number on live chat and told me it would cost me 25p. When I mentioned I had no credit and that no credit was the root of my problem they gave me another number which was a landline route to the top up line. Annoying that such a simple process should be so difficult. 

Grrrrr

Message 9 of 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you use that card to top up other pay and go numbers?

The address O2 has on the System, is that the same as the cards billing address?

Message 10 of 40