cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG Sim for min. 12 months or can I change provider any time?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone, I'm thinking about buying an iPhone 5s, but don't want any contracts and want an unlocked, sim-free one with a pay as you go sim. I just realised that, if I buy the pay as you go iPhone 5s from O2, it can only be unlocked 12 months after I buy it, which I don't want. If I buy the phone from a different shop and buy only the pay as you go sim card from O2 and put it into the unlocked phpne, am I bound to use that sim card for a minimum of 12 months as well before I can change profider/ sim cards, or can I do that any time? Say I don't like it or want to go with a different provider after a month, can I just take the sim out and put a different one in and it will work? Thank you very much in advance and happy new year!

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144915 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27777 Solutions
O2 don't put the 12 month restriction on iPhones so if you buy from o2 on PAYG you can apply to unlock it immediately.
The only exception to this currently is the 7 which they are not unlocking at all yet unless on a fully paid up refresh contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just buy the phone from Apple if the 12 months bothers you that much. No doubt the "experts" will be along shortly to offer their advise. I'm just offering what I would do if I was concerned with locked devices.
Message 2 of 14

MI5
  • 144915 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27777 Solutions
O2 don't put the 12 month restriction on iPhones so if you buy from o2 on PAYG you can apply to unlock it immediately.
The only exception to this currently is the 7 which they are not unlocking at all yet unless on a fully paid up refresh contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 144915 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27777 Solutions
For reference the unlocking guide is here
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-S...

Currently using:
Message 4 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 123323 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Or you could go elsewhere to buy it. My son had his iPhone from a reputable seller on Amazon. It was unlocked when purchased and he can use any sim he likes in it. There are good offers everywhere with the sales so you can shop around. Avoiding Ebay of course...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

it says that it does, though..?

'Pay As You Go customers
If you're on Pay As You Go, your O2 phone can be unlocked 12 months after you bought it.' 

Message 6 of 14

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

If you buy from anywhere other than Apple, the phone will probably lock to the first sim inserted but iphones are exempt from the 12 month rule with O2.

Message 7 of 14

MI5
  • 144915 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27777 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

it says that it does, though..?

'Pay As You Go customers
If you're on Pay As You Go, your O2 phone can be unlocked 12 months after you bought it.' 

As I said, that doesn't apply to iPhones. 

Currently using:
Message 8 of 14

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

iphone 7 can be unlocked now mine was a month ago still in contract

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 9 of 14

MI5
  • 144915 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27777 Solutions
Good news.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 14