cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG No Data Connection

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, 

I'm new to o2 and am having a few issues with activating cellular data on my iPhone 4s. I've tried all the previous thread instructions and am still having no luck (e.g.  http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/02-Pay-as-you-go-data-connect-total-failu... as well as the instructions linked within the post from a few years back). 

So far, my attemps have been unsuccessful. I've tried the reset within general setting (network seting reset) as well as a soft reset, reboot and manually entering all the APNs/usernames/passwords as recommended then rebooting afterwards but am still getting no where.

The service package I applied for is the PAYG 15 pounds for 1GB of data, 750 mins and 2000 texts and recieved a text top confirm this package had been purchased. I also tried texting ACTIVE to 2020 but the vpn profile didn't solve the issue either (so I removed it and went back to trying the other options again).

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks slight_smile

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

if you have tried a lot of things I am just wondering if you have tried this?

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Connecting-iPhone-to-Data-Services/m-p/544210#U544210

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 144295 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
The text method will give you the correct apn so you should apply those settings, save them, then reboot the phone.
Does your phone show 3G at the top of the screen after doing this?
Have you got mobile (or cellular) data turned on?
Also check your postcode here for any service issues http://status.o2.co.uk/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Cleoriff - I've tried all those instructions but it hasn't helped so far.

@MI5 I did try the text solution and rebooted the phone and it originally showed up with 3G when the phone turned on (maybe for 3 seconds and I got really excited) but has now reverted back to showing GPRS. All data is turned on. The only thing I can think of is under general setting it shows that VPN isn't connected but I haven't ever had an issue with VPNs in other countries with different providers.  

Am perhaps thinking that I'm just in a low coverage area and the data connection keeps timing out and therefore is too slow to work? Bizarre though as I did the postcode check and it says all services are working fine including 3G. 

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144295 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Turn off vpn as you don't need it and it will confuse the o2 connection.
But, if you are only on gprs (because that's the only signal you can get) any data connection will be very slow to non existent, I'm afraid.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

It really sounds as if you are just in a poor connection area, have you tried it a mile or two down the road?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 7

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

If you have gers then you have connection. It's either a signal issue or a fault with the phone.

Message 7 of 7