Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P&G Topping Up with Credit Cards on Website

pdfbt40
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Everytime I've tried to top up using either of my Credit Cards they are declined. Both have years of validity and work fine in shops.
I have to resort to using my Debit Card.
Is this normal inconvenience?

Martin

Message 1 of 34
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @pdfbt40 Not normal but maybe the website is 'glitching'. It also depends on the card. Anyway as long a you are able to top up using your debit cards you will be fine. Other ways to top up here...(scroll down to PAYG)

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-can-I-pay-my-bill-or-Ways-to-pay-guidelines...

Incidentally if you have problems registering those cards then give customer services a call https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @pdfbt40 Not normal but maybe the website is 'glitching'. It also depends on the card. Anyway as long a you are able to top up using your debit cards you will be fine. Other ways to top up here...(scroll down to PAYG)

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-can-I-pay-my-bill-or-Ways-to-pay-guidelines...

Incidentally if you have problems registering those cards then give customer services a call https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 34

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
There may be an address discrepancy or something so best to give cs a call on 4445 to register your cards first.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 34

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

How many cards have you topped up with previously? It may be that you have to call customer service and register the credit card. 

Message 4 of 34

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35211 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@pdfbt40 wrote:

Everytime I've tried to top up using either of my Credit Cards they are declined. Both have years of validity and work fine in shops.
I have to resort to using my Debit Card.
Is this normal inconvenience?

Martin

Hi @pdfbt40

There was a time when only 2 PAYG phone accounts/numbers could be topped up from the same credit (or debit, possibly) card - not sure if this is still in effect in Sep-2017, a call to O2 or an on-line chat, may be necessary to clear all up.

Let me clarify:

So if you have ever topped up a PAYG phone on a credit card, and you try to top up a second, different, PAYG phone using the same card, all works well - but when you try to top up a third PAYG phone (ie a third, different, PAYG mobile number) with the same card used to top-up the other two, the web top-up attempt on the third PAYG number will fail with various error messages.

The only way is to contact O2 (https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus) and  work with them to check which  PAYG phone/phones has/have been topped-up with each card, and disassociate any old PAYG number, or numbers, that you no longer have, use, or need from that card.

I have not been able to unearth where I discovered that snippet of information, but it pays to remember which PAYG phone was ever topped up from which card.

Good luck with your call/chat/webchat with O2 Customer Services.

Message 5 of 34

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 6 of 34

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@pgnNot sure about online but I have used 3 different cards in the past to top up 3 different PAYG phones.

2 were debit cards and one was a credit card. I have done this by dialling 4444 and using the payg top up line.

The words the automated voice says, is as follows 'If you have used this card to top up this phone before then just insert the last 4 digits followed by #' It then gives you the option of registering another card if you haven't used that card previously. As said this is via the 4444 top up line...

(By the way I have done this for others as I am on contract.....)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 34

pdfbt40
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have 2 P&G SIMS.
I have 2 credit cards.
This has been an issue from the very first attempts to top-up.
I've only ever been able to pay using the 1 debit card.

The whole reason for wanting to use the website is I don't trust vendors security with my card details by registering them.

Martin
Message 8 of 34

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35211 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@jonsie- Mine was the opposite, I had to talk to them to find out why webtopup was failing, they told me I had used the same credit card to top-up 2 older PAYG numbers, and they were able to remove an old one, allowing me to start topping-up a new PAYG number using the card. It was weird.

I still top-up 4 PAYG phones today, two of these using one credit card, the other two using a different credit-card. I think O2's systems must reject the attempt to top-up a 3rd number using a card that's already been used to top-up 2 other numbers. Weird, but hey!

Message 9 of 34

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@pdfbt40 wrote:
I have 2 P&G SIMS.
I have 2 credit cards.
This has been an issue from the very first attempts to top-up.
I've only ever been able to pay using the 1 debit card.

The whole reason for wanting to use the website is I don't trust vendors security with my card details by registering them.

Martin

Vouchers may be an option for you then?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 34