cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of Warranty, but brand new phone!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought a Nokia Lumia 520 the end of last month, when it arrived the screen was chipped and didn't work. So I phoned up the O2 helpline which advices me to return the item which I did, I've been tracking the items progress and it has finally arrived at the repair centre, but I noticed it said the phone was 'device was found to be out of warrenty quotation raised', has this happened to anyone else or can anyone give me some advice?

Thank you

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

i understand that but it could of been bought off gumtree or ebay or something like that as an o2 handset, if i did that id natually phone o2... none of us know, just assuming that it was purchased from o2.... 

Message 11 of 30

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Was this boxed or repackaged when it arrived?

It sounds as though the phone was damaged in transit in which case it is up to O2 or whoever to replace it and claim from the carrier for the loss.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 12 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like we need some further key info.

If the op did not report the in the box damage immediately I can see them saying this could have been caused by the owner.

Hence why I advised on outside insurance avenues.

Let's let the op return and advise further or even better advise they have already had a reasonable outcome. slight_smile
Message 13 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I agree bob by the sounds of it they did report it and hopefully it was straight away in which case I would be asking where my new phone is by now
Message 14 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for all of your advice.

I purchased the item from the O2 website

The item was boxed when it arrived, and everything seemed to be in order untill I opened the box and unpacked the item to notice there was a hairline fracture in the upper left corner

I immediaetly phoned the O2 helpline who adviced me to send the item back, in which they would assess the damage and send me a replacement

I asked if I was able to take it to a store loacted near where I live and the advisore STRONGLY dissagreed and told me that they could send the item off for me but were unable to give me a new one

Is there anymore information you would like?

Message 15 of 30

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144169 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
It sounds like it was damaged in transit.
You need to call CS again and if they won't resolve with a replacement phone escalate it to complaints http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your advice

What shall I do if they refuse to replace the mobile?

Message 17 of 30

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144169 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Ultimately, I think if you have to go as far as making a complaint they will resolve it for you.
If after everything it's still a refusal your other options are claiming on insurance or taking O2 to small claims court 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 30

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Well the goods were not as described under the SOGA as they were damaged when you received them, the vendor, O2 in this case has to prove that they were not damaged when you received them, which as you notified them straight away, they would find it hard to claim. it's their responsibility to claim against the carrier.

If they don't replace demand an immediate refund. If they refuse then open a small claim against them .

See Adams guide on warranty and SOGA here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Guide-Differance-between-SOGA-and-warranty-exten...

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 19 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for everyones help,

I will phone O2 asap and get back to you all

Message 20 of 30