cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On holiday in Cyprus - which is in the EU - so why estimated bill showing as in Turkey?????

Anonymous
Not applicable

Received email saying next bill over norm - currently over 100 GBP when norm 29.24.

Please note 02 that I will be cancelling my direct debit until this is sorted - as my daughter has been in Cyprus since early July, on holiday visiting family and friends - bill up to 25th July clearly shows Country as Cyprus and monthly DD was 30.14 GBP.  Received email saying current estimate over 100 GBP - she (and I) am in Cyprus - so why does the est bill show as if she is in Turkey?????? Which is obviously not in the EU.  1 single phone call to my daughters friend is over 50 GBP - her friend is on holiday in Rhodes - again this is in the EU, as is Cyprus.  

Please get this sorted asap, as mentioned, I have now cancelled my DD, as I will not be paying for additional charges, over and above her monthly EU allowance.

Please reply as a priority, as this is totally unacceptable.

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144074 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Anonymous

This isn't o2 and cancelling your DD will cause you too much grief, belive me.

You need to select an EU network and call customer service - it's free from abroad http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Please sort this out in the proper manner for your own sanity.

You can just manually select Cypriot network to ensure you stay on EU rates.
Auto network selection will always choose the strongest signal which may be in a different country.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Nisky
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
This may be due to the phone picking up a signal fom Turkey or North East Cyprus (the Turkish part) meaing you are receiving a mobile signal from outside the EU and are paying a higher non-EU rate. Switch off roaming just in case
Message 2 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144074 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Anonymous

This isn't o2 and cancelling your DD will cause you too much grief, belive me.

You need to select an EU network and call customer service - it's free from abroad http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Please sort this out in the proper manner for your own sanity.

You can just manually select Cypriot network to ensure you stay on EU rates.
Auto network selection will always choose the strongest signal which may be in a different country.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

^^ as the others have said above ^^

FYI - if you visit Turkey frequently, Vodafone include Turkey in their list of Free Roaming countries.

Message 4 of 4