Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old number changeover

Grogerus
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was sent a clear and unambiguous text to my old number that it would transfer to my new sim on my new phone by 6pm today. I turned off the phone all day as recommended (indeed I had to turn off my old phone with the old number as the battery is failing). The swap has not happened and yes I tried switching my new phone on and off. No change. This is extremely inconvenient right now and if O2 say that the changeover will happen today that is what I expect. This is urgent. Please help. My default option may be to return to my old contract with virginmedia.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123027 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

@Grogerus 

Some swaps are taking longer than others.

If you have no service at all borrow a phone, use a landline or try Skype to get through to O2

All numbers in this guide

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

Grogerus
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This might sound silly, but can I put the old sim in my new phone and wait for the number to fail then put the new sim in?

Message 3 of 7

Grogerus
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My old phone was an HTC One M10 and my new phone is an iPhone if that is relevant.

Message 4 of 7

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 144516 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions

@Grogerus 

There's no need for any sim to be in any phone. Just leave your new sim in the new phone and it will change at some point. 
ports can happen up to 9.00pm. 
PS. If you stick with o2 long enough you'll be back on virgin anyway slight_smile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 7

Grogerus
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your help everyone. Yes I was aware of the mega-merger. The O2 contract is currently better. Just a bit frustrated (as we all are in the current circumstances) that the changeover seems to have become more troublesome in recent years rather than easier as you might expect with improving technologies. I'll give it 24 hours then contact O2 (if that's possible). Thanks again.

Message 7 of 7