Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Topics: 48
Kudos: 591
Solutions: 48

Old Tariff 4 for 1 text abraod and blackberry/iphone

I wrote to the complaint review service seeking a definitive answer and asked them to make clear the policy on this.
It was read at 9am this morning and no reply as yet, although the timescale for a reply is 5 working days.
I also asked them to provide clarity with a link on the O2 home page.
(Not holding my breath)

Thanks Steve.

This is one of my biggest problems at min with o2. I understand why they have to change Tariffs etc, however for exsting customers it make its complicated and then for customer care as they have no idea which rule to follow. I know trust me.

This is something that o2 should take note on and make it easier for customers and customer care. Having Calrity is Key.

One Simple word " Clarity " makes a big difference to happy customers and understanding
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Old Tariff 4 for 1 text abraod and blackberry/iphone

I agree but roaming text is well worth keeping, you can go on hols and not be worried about texting. I am not that interestedi n MMS, i always though they were free and came out of the x amount of free ones you get

I agree with you and yes I also have Roaming SMS and use on a regular basis but like it says. If you upgrade or change you will loose them.
No other network in the uk offers the same system as o2 old system which is a shame.
No your mms always used to come out of your inclusive text allowence, in the uk and abroad again 4 to 1
The reason why o2 have scrapped this is that they say people like to have unlimited sms.
However there new tarrifs are worse value that there old ones as you no longer get as much choice.
You get unlimited sms regardless but now have to pay for data. As there old tariffs you could get 1000 with the tariff and get data for free.

This about the data isn't strictly true. You do get data free with some phones, however the smartphones you have to pay £5 for it. You would have had to do this even if the new tariffs didn't come out (you did with the Palm Pre and the iPhone, the data was included but the tariff was £5 more).
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Old Tariff 4 for 1 text abraod and blackberry/iphone

Hi,
I have a sim only plan which expires in December 2010 and was wondering if I just let the contract role over and not make any changes to it will this still be eligable for the 4:1 text messages?
Many thanks
Highlighted
Topics: 576
Solutions: 3,926

Yes you will remain on the same tariff with the 4:1 if you just let the tariff roll over each month.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thank you very much steveyjones Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re:

I wrote to the complaint review service seeking a definitive answer and asked them to make clear the policy on this.
It was read at 9am this morning and no reply as yet, although the timescale for a reply is 5 working days.
I also asked them to provide clarity with a link on the O2 home page.
(Not holding my breath)

Thanks for doing this! Did you get a response from them yet?
I was on the phone to a CS rep a few moments ago and even though I told him there is no 4-to-1 allowance anymore when roaming, he insisted that there is, and he even said that for billing purposes when roaming my account would be treated as having an allowance of 500 (i.e. 125 text messages sent from abroad).
I told him that I had seen 68 separate text messages on my bill, each charged at 40p, but he insisted that I had only sent 17 (i.e. 68/4). But that would be £1.60 per text! Surely that's a bit extortionate, (even for these greedy mobile phone operators).
I then asked him what happens if, after sending these texts abroad, I then send another 1000 texts from the UK. Would I lose the "500 allowance" and get charged for all the roaming texts because of the large amount I sent from the UK subsequently? He didn't have an answer for that.
What are they telling these people? Or what are they not telling them?! These new "unlimited text" tariffs have been available for more than half a year and the CS team still don't know how they work or are too incompetent to explain them.
It's ludicrous.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Unlimitd text do not give you 4:1, when they changed from x amount of free text to unlimited thats when the 4:1 offer ended. IT doesnt matter if you get dropped to 500 text etc you will no longer get the 4:1.
Not many CS will know about the 4:1 as its fairly old and CS staff come and go, the same applies for managers. The only thing you can do is get them to confirm it on paper or some other physical proof so when you do get charged you have a name to their claim.
I need my 4:1 as i find it very useful, unfortunatly i am stuck on 900mins, 1200text and unlimited data (which isnt really unlimited) for £20 but wish i had 3000+ mins.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I was due to upgrade in July 2010 but was told I would lose my 4:1 texts abroad it I changed my tariff or phone. It would appear that the only alternative was to remain on my present contract and let it roll over. I still get my 4:1 texts but if I were ever to upgrade in the future, I would lose this tariff.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I am too stuck but I don't mind buying a new phone as I save a lot in text as I travel alot
Highlighted
Anonymous

I see a lot of confusion over this, I will try to make clearer.
All new tariffs since feb 2010 give you unltd uk SMS, mms are charged at 20p globally, roaming SMS varies between 11p and 40p depending where you are going, so it's worth checking as mms may be cheaper and have no character limit.
Old tariffs ( any tariff where your text allowance is a set figure ie 500, 1200, etc) gives you 4 for1 on roaming SMS and uk mms. Roaming mms on these tariffs are still the old price of 25p. Don't ask me why, they just are.
Where some confusion comes in ie a couple of posts up I think, is where someone on an older tariff with one of the old unltd SMS bolt ons, in this case the unltd SMS is the same as on current tariffs, but the tariff itself still has a built in, pre set allowance. Where this exists you still get 4 for 1, where it doesn't, you don't.
The best way to check this is just to send a 21202 allowance text (this is free, as is the reply). If it says "0 texts" you don't get it, if you get a figure, ie 236 or whatever, then you do.