Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offers not on line - is this a scam?

Jan4
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So, I'm very careful and try to avoid scams. I got a text purporting to be from o2 today making me an offer of unlimited texts and 500 minutes and 2GB for only £7 per month. As this was cheaper than my current tariff with o2 I went on line but not there despite link in text. So I called the freed one number. Very nice lady offers me the deal and offers me a further 10% off. Perfect. Yes please. Then she goes through my info to check correct. And then asks for my bank details. Why? I've been paying by direct debit for years with o2. Just change my current tariff to this new one I ask. Nope. She won't. I refuse to give my bank details and then wonder if I've already given info I shouldn't. But I dont think so. I think is this a scam? I suspect not. I suspect o2 using agents who get paid for the change in tariffs? Butcher I check the phone number I called its on line as a neutral number not allocated to o2. Two questions. Why is the deal not on line with o2? Why should I give my bank details out when they already have them?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Jan4 

It will be a 3rd party reseller that was working on commission.

You would probably have ended up tied to a 3 year business plan which would of had vat added on top of the monthly cost.

You did right by not giving your bank details.

Never accept anything from these calls / texts and always deal directly with O2.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

Jan4
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks for this. I thought so. As they say....if something seems too good to be true it usually is!

Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You're welcome and stay safe.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4