cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 wont unlock my PAYG phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Myself and my family have been with O2 for many years, I myself have been a loyal customer for over 6 years.
I allowed my son to use a sim card that was on PAYG £7.50 a month for unlimited texts, I thought this was a brilliant deal. O2 however failed to inform me that although this was PAYG they would allow us to go over the fair usage policy and not inform us until they sent me an email effectively punishing me and informing me that I would have to pay full price for every text the month after. I thought the joys of PAYG and not contract was that you cannot go over and when the credit and products are used they are used?

I wanted to unlock the phone so that I could put a different sim card in it for my son and I would continue to use the PAYG sim in my own phone. O2 have refused to do this as the specific phone that was being used was only purchased in March 2013, even though the sim card has been used for over a year and I have been with o2 for so many years previous to this.

I see this as extremely unfair and wonder if others are receiving the same bad service form o2? I fully intend to move my custom from o2 to another service provider now. My loyalty has clearly been ignored in this given circumstance and I was appauled by this.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm afraid in this day and age loyalty does not carry what it used to.

Fair usage policy is in 02's T&C's.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),C...

Can you not purchase a bolt on ? , although the amount he has gone over may be taken from the bolt on allowance anyway. Im not sure !

Pay & Go can only unlatch a handset after it has been active on the O2 Network for 12 Months, unless its an iPhone

Then you can request the unlock via the online form and pay £15 admin fee.

Your son must have gone some to go past the fair usage amount of 2,990 texts !

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you buy the phone direct from O2? If not, then they won't unlock it, not for free anyway, I asked them to unlock my last contract phone with O2 and they wouldn't do it, this was after some muppet on the live chat LIED to me and told me I could get a priority unlock in a Galaxy S2, and CS have confirmed that they only do that on Iphones.

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm afraid in this day and age loyalty does not carry what it used to.

Fair usage policy is in 02's T&C's.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),C...

Can you not purchase a bolt on ? , although the amount he has gone over may be taken from the bolt on allowance anyway. Im not sure !

Pay & Go can only unlatch a handset after it has been active on the O2 Network for 12 Months, unless its an iPhone

Then you can request the unlock via the online form and pay £15 admin fee.

Your son must have gone some to go past the fair usage amount of 2,990 texts !

Message 3 of 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Standard practice, I've been with O2 for five years and this rule about unlocking Pay and Go phones has always been in place.

I'm puzzled about the texts as any limit should be removed once you have topped the phone up.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 7

Luke198823
Level 3: Thinker
  • 69 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
It depends what you got your phone from is were can go and get your phone unlocked because i think the o2 shop can only help about the phones you got from the shop.
Message 5 of 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

The phone was bought from O2 in March 2013 so they won't unlock it.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93348 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6986 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

The phone was bought from O2 in March 2013 so they won't unlock it.

...also O2 stores can not unlock phones.

Message 7 of 7