cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 wont unlock Samsung after completion of contract

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I requested O2 unlock my phone via the online form and over the phone on more than one occassion and I continuously receive the same response other than the one received this evening via email, as follows;

'We are really sorry that we have not provided you with the network
unlatching code you requested.

As per our findings,the handset was not bought from O2 directly due to
which we are unable to find the details in our database.

In order to further investigate, Could you please confirm the Original
purchase order number and original mobile phone number so that we can
check from where exactly the handset was bought. Because if we gives you
an unlatching code and the handset is non O2, the unlatching code
provided may not work which may lead to codes supplied not working or
locking your phone. Also if its an non o2 handset, you need to approach
the supplier for the unlatching code who in turn will provide the code
for unlocking the phone.'

Now I dont have the origina order, phone was purchased at Tescos on a 2 year deal.

Paid monthly DD to O2 ever since, phone has O2 sim inside it and remains unlocked.

I have provided them now with my account number and the only mobile number the phone as ever had.

I have also reminded them of their legal obligation.

Anyone else had this type of experience and if so what did you do to resolve?

Thanks

Neil

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

Yes it's possible that the OP put an O2 sim in the phone, but the message he is receiving from O2 regarding unlocking is correct, as he purchased the phone from Tesco, therefore O2 would be unable to unlock it. I think the OP has made a mistake, and the premise of his post is wrong. He should, as @Cleoriff has suggested, be speaking to Tesco Mobile to request the unlock code, if the phone is actually locked at all.

While Tesco sims work in O2 phones I do believe O2 sims won't work in Tesco locked phones.

The OP has said that he has an O2 sim in a phone he purchased from Tesco, so he's either mistaken, or the phone isn't locked. If the OP doesn't come back to clarify what he's said, which I have a sneaking suspicion he won't, there's no way of knowing.

Edit: My gut feeling is that the OP is confused as to the sim he's using in the phone because Tesco Mobile uses the O2 network as an MVNO. If the phone was purchased from Tesco, and the phone is locked, then only Tesco can unlock it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 11 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

Yes it's possible that the OP put an O2 sim in the phone, but the message he is receiving from O2 regarding unlocking is correct, as he purchased the phone from Tesco, therefore O2 would be unable to unlock it. I think the OP has made a mistake, and the premise of his post is wrong. He should, as @Cleoriff has suggested, be speaking to Tesco Mobile to request the unlock code, if the phone is actually locked at all.

While Tesco sims work in O2 phones I do believe O2 sims won't work in Tesco locked phones.

The OP has said that he has an O2 sim in a phone he purchased from Tesco, so he's either mistaken, or the phone isn't locked. If the OP doesn't come back to clarify what he's said, which I have a sneaking suspicion he won't, there's no way of knowing.

Edit: My gut feeling is that the OP is confused as to the sim he's using in the phone because Tesco Mobile uses the O2 network as an MVNO. If the phone was purchased from Tesco, and the phone is locked, then only Tesco can unlock it.

Yes I suspected that - he knows he's on the O2 network and simply got a bit confused.

Message 12 of 39

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144286 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
You can buy an O2 contract phone from Tesco though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 39

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Definitely some confuddlement here, maybe the OP can clarify this. slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 14 of 39

MI5
  • 144286 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
The CSC will confirm it as asked for above.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 39

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
The CSC will confirm it as asked for above.....

That will confirm it if the op comes back. 

Message 16 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all and thanks for the replies.

As stated, the phone is an O2 contract phone, with an O2 sim inside.

I never had a contract with Tesco even though the phone was purchased in their store. I paid the bills directly to O2 -not Tescos.   I have or had an account number with O2 - not Tescos.

Appreciate your assistance.

Message 17 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

Hi,

Did you misread my message? 

Message 18 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

No - because its an O2 contract - not Tescos.

Message 19 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll check when I'm home tomorrow!

Message 20 of 39