cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 wont unlock Samsung after completion of contract

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I requested O2 unlock my phone via the online form and over the phone on more than one occassion and I continuously receive the same response other than the one received this evening via email, as follows;

'We are really sorry that we have not provided you with the network
unlatching code you requested.

As per our findings,the handset was not bought from O2 directly due to
which we are unable to find the details in our database.

In order to further investigate, Could you please confirm the Original
purchase order number and original mobile phone number so that we can
check from where exactly the handset was bought. Because if we gives you
an unlatching code and the handset is non O2, the unlatching code
provided may not work which may lead to codes supplied not working or
locking your phone. Also if its an non o2 handset, you need to approach
the supplier for the unlatching code who in turn will provide the code
for unlocking the phone.'

Now I dont have the origina order, phone was purchased at Tescos on a 2 year deal.

Paid monthly DD to O2 ever since, phone has O2 sim inside it and remains unlocked.

I have provided them now with my account number and the only mobile number the phone as ever had.

I have also reminded them of their legal obligation.

Anyone else had this type of experience and if so what did you do to resolve?

Thanks

Neil

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122821 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I have looked online for this and on Tesco mobile site. It would appear that it's Tesco who should be providing you with the unlocking code?

http://www.tescomobile.com/help-and-support/1083-device-help/1102-using-your-device/unlock-your-tesc...

This copied from their website

"Unlock your Tesco Mobile phone. If you want to use another network's SIM, you'll need to get your Tesco mobile unlocked. Phones on Pay as you go are free to unlock 12 months after activation. We'll charge you £20 to unlock your Pay as you go device in the first 12 months."

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 39

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Well the message you're receiving is correct. If you bought the phone from Tesco, that's not directly from O2. Are you sure the phone is locked? Have you tried a different network's sim?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
How can you pay a DD to O2 if it's a tesco Mobile phone?

You say it's locked then in the bottom paragraph you say it's unlocked. Which is it?

Tesco use the O2 network to run on but it is tesco mobile you should be taking this up with not o2
Message 4 of 39

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Have you tried asking Tesco to unlock the phone for you?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122821 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

Have you tried asking Tesco to unlock the phone for you?

I hope the OP comes back @perksie as that was what I wondered in my first post. It seems they have been asking O2 but the Tesco website clearly indicates they should be unlocking any Tesco mobile....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 39

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It's entirely possible to have a Tesco phone which is on an O2 contract. Tesco runs on the O2 network, similarly giffgaff, Lyca and possibly Sky this year.

Does the phone boot up with an O2 splash screen? 

Message 7 of 39

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Yes it's possible that the OP put an O2 sim in the phone, but the message he is receiving from O2 regarding unlocking is correct, as he purchased the phone from Tesco, therefore O2 would be unable to unlock it. I think the OP has made a mistake, and the premise of his post is wrong. He should, as @Cleoriff has suggested, be speaking to Tesco Mobile to request the unlock code, if the phone is actually locked at all.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 39

MI5
  • 144176 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Dial *#1234# and tell me the CSC code.
I can then tell you who has locked the phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino wrote:

Yes it's possible that the OP put an O2 sim in the phone, but the message he is receiving from O2 regarding unlocking is correct, as he purchased the phone from Tesco, therefore O2 would be unable to unlock it. I think the OP has made a mistake, and the premise of his post is wrong. He should, as @Cleoriff has suggested, be speaking to Tesco Mobile to request the unlock code, if the phone is actually locked at all.

While Tesco sims work in O2 phones I do believe O2 sims won't work in Tesco locked phones.

Message 10 of 39