Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 won't unlock my phone

Ayeshs
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have a new phone i brought as contract so wanted to unlock my other phone but o2 says it cannot do it as it was not brought in their store. It was brought at carphone warehouse and they say that o2 has to unlock up they won't. Always receive an email asking for order number and original phone number. My number is the original is was an upgrade.Really don't know what to do really.
Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Carphone warehouse only sell unlocked phones unless they are iPhones which o2 can unlock, so try another sim in your phone first.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Carphone warehouse only sell unlocked phones unless they are iPhones which o2 can unlock, so try another sim in your phone first.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 14

Betablue
Level 4: Observant
  • 57 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Agreed @MI5 my previous z5 was from cpw. After direct O2 refresh upgrade I gave the z5 to my son who only needed ee text download of mms and Internet settings. The handset as you say was already unlocked (never locked to start with). I'd have hoped CS would have said to the op but I guess they are best to refer back to cpw rather than guess another Company policy.
Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
CS should know by now. It's been said enough times on here and fedback by admin.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 14

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

@Ayeshs  Which model and how old is your "other iPhone" that you are trying to unlock and did you try another SIM as suggested?

I do know that there was a period when CPW (eg around time of iPhone 6/7) would lock to the first SIM card you put in it. It happened to myself (to my annoyance at the time), but it was in the CPW SIM free handset small print. Vodafone though, soon unlocked the iPhone for me as should O2 in this case as CPW cannot do it.

Thankfully CPW no longer do first SIM locking!

So how old and have you tried another SIM?

Message 5 of 14

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@dgilbert2 I don't see the OP mention an iPhone at all?

But O2 will submit the IMEI for those iPhones that locked to O2 on first sim anyway.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 14

dgilbert2
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

@MI5@Ayeshs  apologies, I misread "other phone" as iPhone.

Got iPhone on the brain Bang

Message 7 of 14

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

Thought I needed to go to Specsavers LOL

Currently using:
Message 8 of 14

dgilbert2
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Thought I needed to go to Specsavers LOL

No, I know someone who does though Surprised

Message 9 of 14

Ayeshs
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I tried an other sim card snd it worked so does that mean i can use an international sim that is not from uk as well?
Message 10 of 14