Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 wifi calling

mg
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Will O2 load 02 firmware onto a new Samsung S7 (unlocked) to facilitate wifi calling? I have (and have had for years) an O2 contract but on this occassion got a new handset via another route. I'm not adverse to loading it myself but what little I've been able to read suggests this is not a job for an amateur.

I understand EE will upload wifi firmware onto handsets they have not sold and as the reception is so bad in my area, I fear I may have to change provider if O2 can not do the same.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

It is Phone dependent currently.
Some will work on open firmware whilst others need o2 specific.
The S7 is one that requires o2 firmware to work. 

However, the list is constantly evolving so it could be made available at anytime. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
You would have to do it yourself.
We aren’t allowed to tell you how any more but there’s plenty of info on the internet.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

BigDaddyUK
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 148 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

If you have a phone with an open market firmware, then WiFi Calls works great !! Do not flash the O2 firmware ...
For me on S9 plus everything is great ...

| Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 5G 12/512Gb | Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Soon |
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

It is Phone dependent currently.
Some will work on open firmware whilst others need o2 specific.
The S7 is one that requires o2 firmware to work. 

However, the list is constantly evolving so it could be made available at anytime. 

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

BigDaddyUK
  • 148 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Maybe ... Or maybe I had it, O2 support for about an hour told me that my phone would not work with WiFi Calls, because it was not purchased from O2 !! Because it's for the open market ...

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
S8 and S9 work fine on open firmware.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

BigDaddyUK
  • 148 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

But apparently not all of the O2 support staff know about this .. slight_smile

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
No one is surprised to hear that wink

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

churchin1975
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm not sure that you need to have the o2 firmware on the S7 any more.  From the Wifi and 4G Calling page it shows:

Wifi and 4G Calling is currently available on the following devices:

• Samsung Galaxy S9, S9 Plus, S8, S8 Plus, Note8, S7, S7 edge and J3 2017, A8, A3 2017, A6, J6, J5 (2017), A5 (2017)

It then says that you might need o2 firmware, click here.  Following the link shows:

If you are using a J3 (2017) to get Wifi and 4G Calling, your device will need to use O2 firmware. This is essentially the software that makes your device turn on and run. Sometimes there are different versions of firmware for the same device.

No mention of any other models requiring o2 firmware.

I'm just waiting for my account to have voLTE and Wifi Calling re-activated as they seem to have gone missing, but I previously had both on UK open firmware with Oreo on my S7.

Note that wifi calling only kicks in with low/no reception - you can force it by going into airplane mode then re-enabling wifi.  voLTE doesn't show an icon, you know it's working when you still have 4G when on a call rather than dropping down to 3G or 2G.

I'll confirm once wifi calling and voLTE have been re-enabled on my account.
Message 9 of 10

churchin1975
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Right, my account has been updated and I can confirm that both Wifi Calling and voLTE are both working on my S7 running non-o2 Oreo firmware.

Mobile networks.jpgPhone.jpgFirmware.jpg

Message 10 of 10