cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 sim card - daylight shop robbery

Anonymous
Not applicable

My son went into an o2 shop and bought a payg sim for £25 CASH. This was for an iphone he had been given. He asked the staff to put the sim in and when they did they found the sim wouldn't work because the phone was blocked. He hadn't known this but, although disappointed, he accepted it and asked for a refund (not even a full refund, just the difference between a cheaper text and phone mins sim he wanted to purchase for an old nokia he had). He was told this was not possible, even though he had not left the shop, hadn't actually touched the sim himself and no mins, texts or data had been used. He was offered a form to fill out whereby the money would be sent by cheque (in this day and age???) in 'about' 2 weeks (in this day and age???).

This to me sounds like daylight robbery. Surely if something doesn't work a refund should be available in the 10 minutes after it has been purchased.

Looks like i'm going to be shopping around when the time comes to renew our monthly contracts.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's not O2's fault the phone was barred though is it?
Normal o2 refund policy is 14 days and if you are not happy with this you can raise a complaint here http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's not O2's fault the phone was barred though is it?
Normal o2 refund policy is 14 days and if you are not happy with this you can raise a complaint here http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Technically the sim worked fine and was what he asked for.
It's not o2's responsibility that your handset was blocked.

But a refund should be allowed imo.
Message 3 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Tardis
Message 4 of 9

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If he paid £25 it was obviously a top up. Top ups cannot be refunded. Best bet is to get another phone irrespective of similar size and get a new simple if it's a different size. The number and credit can be transferred. 

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Obviously I don't blame the shop for the phone not working. My point is that just 5 minutes before he paid £25 cash. nothing used, not a top up, a brand new sim, but it takes up to 2 weeks to refund. And, because that was all of his money, still no mins or texts.
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's not as if he was warned that he couldn't get a refund straight away if it didn't work.
Message 7 of 9

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

O2 stores give simple cards free for o2 customers. If it's a new customer they charge a top up minimum £10. If he was told he had to pay 25 then I would certainly complain.

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yeah, I agree - no need to be forced to pay £25 at all.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9