cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 selling customer details.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been with O2 for years with the same contract but rcently (for the last few months) I have been receiving targeted calls about PPI, by targeted I mean they are using 'my' name (the contract name) in the calls/text. Just to clarifiy the only place the number would be in the same place  as the name is on the contract/account as from the day the phone was purchased the contract holder and the phone holder are different people.

So I am 100% sure that the only place the informatin could have come from is O2/Salesperson - Is there anything I can do to change/fix this? I thought about trying to escalate it with O2 but realistcially nothing will be achieved through this.

To be honest if nothing can be done and I need to change my phonenumber/contract in the foreseable future I will not be going with O2 as this is distgusting.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Coincidence I reckon, O2 have nothing to gain from upsetting their own customers.

Follow the advice in the link and contact PhonePay Plus with the details.

Also forward any texts to 7726.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 wouldn't give your details to these PPI companies.

You can raise a complaint with phonepayplus.org.uk if they are getting annoying or register yourself with the TPS (http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html).

Message 2 of 10

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Some help and advice from O2 here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/support/generalhelp/howdoi/safetycontrolandaccess/nuisancephonecalls;jsessionid=...

Check in your MyO2 that your account is set not to allow third parties to contact you.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the tip about third parties - though it was disabled on my account.

I am not questioning that my details have been leaked, I know for sure they have as the only only place the name and number are together is on the contract. It could have been the phone-shop where I got the phone/a staff within O2 - What I can guarantee is it was not me.

Now I am doomed to have my details further sold to more companies and the spam will increase at a high rate.

A story about this is my phones was temporarily disabled (came back from abroad and needed to pay the high bill before they would reactivate it - another story that when I was away I needed to dial 202 to prevent the phone being disabled which wouldn't dial from the country I was in) within 5 minutes of it being activated I received a call about PPI - They addressed me by the contract's first name and try to tell me I had PPI to claim.

Message 4 of 10

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Coincidence I reckon, O2 have nothing to gain from upsetting their own customers.

Follow the advice in the link and contact PhonePay Plus with the details.

Also forward any texts to 7726.

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

While it may not be O2 themselves selling the data, I can confirm that the data being sold definitely originated at O2. The proof of this is that I have a contract for my own phone and one for my fiances phone. The only time my name is associated with my fiances phone is via billing. In all other respects it's her phone and she is the only person that uses that number.

That hasn't stopped numerous calls on her phone from PPI companies asking for me by name. We have assigned TPS to the phone and pass the texts to 7726 but that doesn't alter the fact that ONLY O2 knows that her number is paid for by me.

As I say, it is unlikely that O2 is profiting by selling my details on but someone inside the company certainly has been!

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice to know I am not the only one suffering with this!    I have, for the passed fortnight, been inundated with calls from companies trying to upgrade my phone.  I have been with O2 for years and I have never had any issue with them up until they started selling my information.   I finally lost it today after I received my fifth call before 12 noon despite having already upgraded.  I wish I hadn't upgraded with O2 as if I'd known what they did I would never ever have done so.   The reason I KNOW O2 have been selling my information is that all of these companies know exact details on my upgrade date, current phone, full name etc.  Absolutely outrageous.   I called O2 to protest and apparently my "choices" on my preference didn't reflect my objection to having my details sold on to third parties......this is the firt year I've had this problem, have O2 been changing their T&Cs and not communicating this to their customers?!  I have now had a further 2 calls since 12 and am just now hanging up on people.  I've also registered with the Telephone Preference Service.   I have taken a photo of my recent call list and shall be using this to advertise the way O2 treat their customers.  Nice one O2!

Message 7 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Its always been the same.
The choices are in your Myo2 to opt out of.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems its just the tip of the iceburg. There is probably few people that can be certain O2 has been the source of this data, however the fact that many can be sure suggests its quite a big problem. I started getting these rubbish calls about a year ago starting with PPI. I know like many that it was O2 because my account name had a slight error on O2's part but have left it since its not a problem, but it has been evidence that O2 is the source without question. It really doesn't matter whether you have opted in or out, O2 have betrayed my trust in them, do they really think customers being bugged by cold calling text's and phone calls is in their interests? I've had to install an app called 'Blocker' to block all calls that aren't in my contact list.

Its been mentioned here that you can check the opt in status by going to 'My Choices', I've searched high and low for this menu, but can't find it, can anyone help me locate it. I would never opt into such a thing, so clearly it was the default condition when the account was set up. Another reason I'll be moving away from O2 after many years.

Message 9 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's no longer available in MY O2 since they revamped it.
You need to call or write in now.....
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 10