Did you mean: 

O2 refresh is there a wait?

JamieLeeWV
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi guys. I've just joined o2.

I've just got the galaxy a51 on a 12 month o2 refresh for 41 per month with a 150 upfront cost.

My airtime is £29 for 30gb and my phone plan is £12.42

Can I use o2 refresh to upgrade? My contract is only 12 months so I would need to pay the 12.42 x 12 months remaining In order to upgrade?

Also would there be another credit check for the refresh upgrade? I did initally try for a p30 Pro but due to my credit history o2 wanted a £450 up front deposit so I settled for the a51. So I don't want to return the handset and cancel within the 14 days and try for a high end model as I don't seem to be approved on a new contract without a high deposit

So not sure if I'd be able to use o2 refresh to upgrade to a more premium handset with no credit check? And not such a high deposit?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks slight_smile
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@JamieLeeWV 

No credit checks for upgrades and yes, you can upgrade now by paying off what you owe on the phone only Guide: How does O2 Refresh work? 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

djbsuffolk
Level 9: Fired up
  • 140 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Pay the device off and you can upgrade on refresh, and I do believe there won't be a further credit check.

Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@djbsuffolk wrote:

Pay the device off and you can upgrade on refresh, and I do believe there won't be a further credit check.

Correct, as I stated above.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 14

JamieLeeWV
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
OK thanks guys. Does this mean I'll be able to choose any handset? At any cost?
Message 5 of 14

JamieLeeWV
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
And this can be done even though I'm about 2 days into my contract? Madness I've never heard of refresh until now 😂
Message 6 of 14

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Why not just send the phone back as a change of mind and get a different phone of your choosing? 

Not a good recommendation for the A51 though...? 

Message 7 of 14

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@JamieLeeWV 

You can pay off the device plan immediately, there are no time restrictions.

In all honesty though, I'm not sure that 2 days would be sufficient to build up your credit rating, but as O2 don't credit check for upgrades, you may get away with it. If it was me, I'd wait 3 months though too be 100% certain.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 14

JamieLeeWV
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie ideally I wanted a premium handset rather than a mid range one. But o2 wanted a & 450 deposit for any of the high end handsets and I wasn't willing to pay it.

@MI5 is there a way of checking if I'd be accepted for an upgrade if I paid off the handset before I actually paid the handset off? Through my account somewhere?
Message 9 of 14

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@JamieLeeWV 

No way of knowing what the computer will say until you try, but if you are prepared to pay off the device plan anyway, you could go through the online upgrade process to see.

As I've said, they usually don't credit check for upgrades but I'm not 100% certain in your case as you've only just bought the phone, but paying off your device plan will surely improve your credit rating anyway.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 14