cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 masts query - No 3g or 4g - Manchester

Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in south Manchester (M22 4NU) area and suffering from really bad 3g and 4g Network.It is now mainly connecting to the EDGE network. (I have asked other o2 customers in the local area - and I am not alone) I have checked on the status page and there is planned mast maintenance next week in the area. But supposedly no problems at the moment. I have also reported it via My Networks app.

Now while I have been struggling I have downloaded a few signal monitor apps to see roughly what is going on.

My phone is Xperia Z1 compact. I have a 4g sim. 4g is switched on. Network mode is 4g(preferred)/WCDMA/GSM

Using the app GSM Signal Monitor I have been testing the signal from the exact same location for the last few hours.

Now I notice in these few hours my phone has actually connected to 10 different masts in this short period of time. I also notice that using http://opencellid.org to locate these masts, the majority of the time I am connecting to a mast that is miles away. It is also completely ignoring a lot of the local masts.

Is this normal behaviour???

Finally I walked around my local area and had to walk about 2 miles out until a 4g network kicked in. All the time I was on EDGE network with no 3g at all. I was also constantly reseting my network to force it onto the strongest one.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Weird indeed.

Have you phoned Cs yet to ask for clarification ?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Have you tried a sim swap ?

Although if this us happening to different people the process of elimination has to be the masts.

Have you phoned Cs to push this ?
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a brand new phone, brand new sim. Only had it a month.

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Right.

The phone should search out the strongest mast and connect accordingly and then switch as you commute.
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am aware of this, but It seems strange it is using 10 different masts all of them it seems to be ignoring the 3g. The exact street location where I live is a 4g black spot (sods law), but 4g and 3g is meant to cover the entire area.

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Weird indeed.

Have you phoned Cs yet to ask for clarification ?
Message 6 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143437 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I suspect the masts nearest you may be out of action and the reason why your phone is connecting to alternate masts.
The signal checker/status page is not guaranteed to be fully up to date so may take some time to reflect the true picture.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7