Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 contract customers face 3.2% price hike from February

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/23540/O2_contract_customers_face_3.2_price_hike_from_February.aspx

Never welcomed News I'm affraid.

Just a shame it's had to happen.

So no network Is amune from the price increase now 😢

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 1 of 185
184 REPLIES 184

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
In this summery did you have to state that you agreed with the full T&Cs?

Interesting point about the mismatch in inflation amounts however I doubt O2 would be stupid enough to allow thousands of customers cancel their contracts by raising price above inflation. Must be a mistake somewhere.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 81 of 185

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ Spring chicken looks like you will not have service from March onwards then if you are not going to pay. 

Good luck with that.

Message 82 of 185

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I've re-read the notice about the price increase.
It specifically states that the increase is in line with CURRENT inflation.
I've checked today and the CURRENT inflation (18 December 2012) is as follows:

• The Consumer Prices Index (CPI) annual inflation stands at 2.7 per cent in November 2012, unchanged from October.

• The Retail Prices Index (RPI) annual inflation stands at 3.0 per cent in November 2012, down from 3.2 per cent in October.

Sourced from : http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/cpi/consumer-price-indices/november-2012/index.html

So my theory is either this message from O2 is dated, and therefore incorrect, or it is projected and is STILL incorrect, as the inflation rate isn't CURRENT.

When they say they "need to change the price of your tariff", the truth is, they don't NEED to at all.

I also found it cheeky that they also state "You don't need to do anything. You'll see the increase on the first bill you get after 28 February 2013".

It's not the amount. It's the principle that big companies feel they can increase prices without mutually agreeing the amount beforehand, especially by stating "You don't need to do anything..."

If you entered into a contract or "agreement", fully acknowledging that you will be paying a pre-agreed and set price (one that was advertised and offered as a specific amount each month for a set amount of time), that was plainly written as the cost per month on your contract, it should be mandatory that it is made clear before entering into an agreement that charges may be increased. It is all well and good to say "read the terms", but I, like quite a few others, was not given the actual terms. Instead, I was given a summary to agree to, which states "It's not part of the legal document itself".
So, what does this mean for me?

Not saying I'm planning to leave O2, just saying that I'm not planning on paying these made up extra charges.

The date O2 posted the info on price rise was 11th December so the official rpi as per the official website you quote was based on the October figure so 3.2% is correct at the time O2 gave notice the November 3.0 % was only released today .

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 83 of 185

Anonymous
Not applicable
@steersy I didn't say I wouldn't pay. I said I'm not planning on paying these made up EXTRA charges.

@adamtemp64 although I accept this as a fair point, this would mean that O2 would have to change the proposed percentage of increase to match the current rate of inflation. Otherwise it is above what they have stated is current.
Also, would this now mean that between now and February, they may have to adjust the percentage to remain in line?

@Liquid reading over the agreement. It suggests I am agreeing to the ts & cs and I would have received a full copy before signing, which I wasn't given, nor was I aware (or made aware) at the time that there was further documentation to agree to.

Again, I have no issue with staying with my contract for the remainder of the minimum term. I have issue with paying extra charges that i didn't agree to and was not made aware of at the time of agreement.
Message 84 of 185

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well if you do not pay the price increase then you may as well not pay the whole bill.

Like I said good luck with that as you will be without service come March and will have negatives on your credit rating.

Out of interest how much is the price increase costing you a month?
Message 85 of 185

Anonymous
Not applicable
I must also add that I only received notice of the price change, late yesterday. So we haven't all been informed at the same time.

I get the feeling I'm being told to grin and bear it.
So, back I crawl under my rock. Kicked in the shins by the massive corporations.
Message 86 of 185

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@spring-chchicken

5.3 You can end this Agreement without having to pay the Monthly Subscription Charges up to the end of any Minimum Period you have left, if:
(a) we increase your Monthly Subscription Charges by more than the Retail Price Index (RPI) annual inflation rate at the date we notify you of the applicable price increase; 

5.3 (a) backs my statement up as fact 

hope that clears it up 

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 87 of 185

Anonymous
Not applicable
@steersy this has confused me, as the agreed price will be paid.
This added on 3.2% hasn't been mutually agreed.
Message 88 of 185

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ spingchicken, 

It has been mutually agreed when you signed the contract. 

You stated you would pay your bill but not the extra charges so if you do not pay the extra charges then you will not be paing your bill so they will cut you off and you will have black marks against your credit rating. 

Bottom line is nobody like to pay more but there is nothing any of us can do about it as we signed the contract. So yeah you are right in saying you have to grim and bear it.

As long as they give you 30 days notice which they have then it does not matter, bear in mind that it takes time for 7 million notices to be sent out.

Message 89 of 185

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

O2 put it on the website and the press reported  11/12/2012 

I will stop now as we are just going round and round in circles .

Apple Watch series 4

Message 90 of 185