Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 contract customers face 3.2% price hike from February

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/23540/O2_contract_customers_face_3.2_price_hike_from_February.aspx

Never welcomed News I'm affraid.

Just a shame it's had to happen.

So no network Is amune from the price increase now 😢

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 1 of 185
184 REPLIES 184

Anonymous
Not applicable
  • Vodafone 23rd sept 11 rounded up contracts to the nearest 50p and double Internet rates 
  • Vodafone 1st November 12, 2.4% increase

• Orange announced 28th November 2011 a 4.34% price increase from 8th Jan 2012
  • T-mobile announced 28th March 2012 a 3.7% price increase from 9th May 2012
  • Three announced 21st May 2012 a 3.6% price increase from 16th July 2012

Also Ofcom have already ruled on Orange and said they have broken no rules and were totally exonerated.
http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/mobile-phone-networks/ofcom-are-not-going-to-investigate-oranges...
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2011/12/orange-wont-face-probe-over-price-hike-but-door...

This means Ofcom have shown there hand and I doubt very much if it will change unless the Government changes legislation

Message 71 of 185

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, a whole extra 34 pence a month for me.

A lot of people on here are quick to moan about a 3.2% price rise BUT they seem to forget thet they signed up to a contract without reading the terms & conditions even with a cooling of period.

If people dont like it then go elsewhere & see how you get on, O2 wont miss you leaving as there will be plenty of others joining to take your place.

Message 72 of 185

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am stunned that anyone feels the practice of raising prices with no exit option within a fixed term contract is justifiable. Yes it's buried in the T&Cs, but when the customer is hooked in for a fixed period the whole approach is wrong. If you want to put prices up do so on new contracts - compete in the market. But doing it to people then reminding them they have no option to walk away is just plain wrong. I switched to O2 because Orange did this to me so I walked as soon as I could. Now O2 have joined the game they have completely destroyed the customer loyalty I felt towards them. Next time it's price only and forget any loyalty. And with luck the Which Fixed Means Fixed campaign will have delivered ! I recommend everyone goes and signs up - http://www.which.co.uk/campaigns/technology/fixed-means-fixed/pledge-your-support/

Message 73 of 185

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

Sorry yorxbrox while I can understand what your saying, the T&Cs relevant are not "buried" in anyway. They are clearly there for everyone to read.

I must concur you should only ever go on price. O2 won't offer me anything for spending in excess of £1200 a year for the past 5 years so I feel no customer loyalty because they show nothing in return. However they are the best price for what I need (even with inflation) so I'm happy to stay.

Sad fact in this life is that you can't please everyone.

why does everyone keep quoting these "fixed prices" and yet no one has actually shown me anything to prove that there iOS a contract that says this!(buisness excluded thanks Adam:))

if you can prove they were sold to you as a "fixed" price you have my full support fighting your case:)

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 74 of 185

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yorxborx

Which? Are wasting there time and getting the hopes up for all those excitable people.

Ofcom have already set precedence when they exonerated Orange for there price increase. So unless new legislation is put into place which can take some time you should have read the Terms and conditions of the contract. 

I am assuming you do not drive either?

Message 75 of 185

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I must admit I see it as a publicity stunt for which. They were rather quiet until they released this.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 76 of 185

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

All that will happen with Ofcom is that they'll say they'll investigate the general circumstance then in a couple of years put out a guideline telling the operators to make it clearer. I can't help but put forward the resolution of unlimited broadband with a heavy dose of sarcasm...

Even if there is a change, guarantee that something else will go up to compensate just like the roaming prices had an effect on certain call costs.

Message 77 of 185

Anonymous
Not applicable

Which have complained earlier this year to ofcom

I looked at my sim only and was not using the 600min I was paying for, so I dropped it to 300 min and saved £5 ( 4.51 after price rise).

I would have kept at 600min if they had not raised it!!! (I would not have bothered to check)

Pen

Message 78 of 185

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Makes sense if you aren't fully utilising your package. Everyone should regularly review their options.

Message 79 of 185

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've re-read the notice about the price increase.
It specifically states that the increase is in line with CURRENT inflation.
I've checked today and the CURRENT inflation (18 December 2012) is as follows:

• The Consumer Prices Index (CPI) annual inflation stands at 2.7 per cent in November 2012, unchanged from October.

• The Retail Prices Index (RPI) annual inflation stands at 3.0 per cent in November 2012, down from 3.2 per cent in October.

Sourced from : http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/cpi/consumer-price-indices/november-2012/index.html

So my theory is either this message from O2 is dated, and therefore incorrect, or it is projected and is STILL incorrect, as the inflation rate isn't CURRENT.

When they say they "need to change the price of your tariff", the truth is, they don't NEED to at all.

I also found it cheeky that they also state "You don't need to do anything. You'll see the increase on the first bill you get after 28 February 2013".

It's not the amount. It's the principle that big companies feel they can increase prices without mutually agreeing the amount beforehand, especially by stating "You don't need to do anything..."

If you entered into a contract or "agreement", fully acknowledging that you will be paying a pre-agreed and set price (one that was advertised and offered as a specific amount each month for a set amount of time), that was plainly written as the cost per month on your contract, it should be mandatory that it is made clear before entering into an agreement that charges may be increased. It is all well and good to say "read the terms", but I, like quite a few others, was not given the actual terms. Instead, I was given a summary to agree to, which states "It's not part of the legal document itself".
So, what does this mean for me?

Not saying I'm planning to leave O2, just saying that I'm not planning on paying these made up extra charges.
Message 80 of 185