Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

O2 Wifi from USA

Hello there,
got a slight problem i need help with.
i flew into usa yesterday used my phone for about 1min and was charged £6.77 data usage which is fine i knew it would happen turning off data roaming and 3g str8 the way before and after.
but then i arrived at the house we are staying in connected to the wifi available at the house. so i get a text from o2 yesterday stating ive spent £20 on data outside of the uk.. which pissed me off seeing as im on wifi. then i get anothr text today saying ive spent £40... now this is beyond a joke i check my account and ive only been charged the £6.77 still no sign of the £40.
if anyone knows if this is just an accident or problem in there system. or can tell me a number i can call to speak to o2 from the USA for free it would be greatilyy appriciated.
thanks!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: O2 Wifi from USA

O2 have no way of knowing thar you are connecting via private wi-fi, so they can't charge you for it.
What this means is that you are still connecting via the data network. Perhaps when your phone goes into standby it switches wi-fi off and reverts to the data network?
Highlighted
Topics: 48
Kudos: 591
Solutions: 48

Im not sure if this will help but here goes.
I was recently in Greece and got the Text for £20 and £40 just like you.
However there were no charges on my account for Data which puzzled me.
So i called customer care on both occasions and they looked and came back puzzled.
I told them the same. My Data roaming was switched of but i had gone one better and deleted my data roaming settings and visual voice mail settings and then i thought mmm. Ive sent loads of picture messaging and hey preseto.
Even though im charged seperatly for mms, its still part of the allocation of data when abroad. So thats why there was no charge of data but i got the warning sms as picure messaging uses data.
So the magical mystery over for me.
That may not be the case for you, but its one to think of.
The other thing is that visual voice mail if you have a iphone is still data orientated. Another thing to look at.
I hope you get it sorted tho
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Highlighted
Anonymous

really strange that isnt the case for me ive only sent 5 text messages unless its £8 a text lol. i spoke to someone with the online chat on the o2 site and he informed me that even thou i had data roaming and 3g turned off that being connected to the wifi is still classed as data usage and i will be charged £6 per mb.. which to me is complete and utter bullcrap.
if that is the case i am disgusted as it clearly states on my account screen *Unlimited Wifi FREE* with no T&C or stipulations, i am pretty diisgusted atm the represenative seemed like he didnt have a clue he first stated the £6.77 i was charged was from the uk evne thou it states USA.
Highlighted
Topics: 296
Kudos: 1,856
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

Which phone.
The t&c state free openzone / cloud is UK only.
But any free wifi is free only wifi that asks for payment when you acces it is charged and then only by card not your account.
Turning 3G off is not going to stop data as 2g allows data.
If an iPhone is being used see my links on how to stop all risk of cell data abroad.
If no an iPhone disable all apn's
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Highlighted
Anonymous

make sure you are not on the old 4.2.1 software, as there is a glitch with MMS charging for data abroad.
if you are on the latest software, im afraid your phone accessed data while abroad. you maybe have location services switched on.
Highlighted

Which phone.
The t&c state free openzone / cloud is UK only.
But any free wifi is free only wifi that asks for payment when you acces it is charged and then only by card not your account.
Turning 3G off is not going to stop data as 2g allows data.
If an iPhone is being used see my links on how to stop all risk of cell data abroad.
If no an iPhone disable all apn's

Forgot to say adamtemp64
The iphone 4 hits and tips and great. and came in very useful when i was abroad with the apn settings
Nice work
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Highlighted
Anonymous

hey! thanks for all the replies i got a email after contacting there customer services and they have told me the text messages i received were in error and i wont be charged the £40.
Highlighted
Anonymous

hey! thanks for all the replies i got a email after contacting there customer services and they have told me the text messages i received were in error and i wont be charged the £40.

glad you got the money back. just to make you aware though, that £40 was a goodwill credit but you were still liable for the charges. you were just unaware.
next time though, just make sure you keep an eye on it, because they will have a record of that credit and wont be able to credit it again.
Highlighted

glad you got the money back. just to make you aware though, that £40 was a goodwill credit but you were still liable for the charges. you were just unaware.
next time though, just make sure you keep an eye on it, because they will have a record of that credit and wont be able to credit it again.

I think you miss read the message.
The text message was sent in error as the data was never used as backs999 said.
There is £6.77 of charges which is corect but the £40 sms sent was in error and customer care has confirmed that the charges wont apply.
There isnt a goodwill credit
Like ive also said, Ive had both the £20 and £40 sms and i got charged £0 and i didnt get a good will gesture. The sms were sent to me in error
Glad you got its sorted backs999