cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Upgrade on us promise is false

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone else feel the "Upgrade on Us" scheme is a complete lie, and absolutely false advertising?

I took out a 30GB tariff last year with the promise that after 12 months I could "uogrde to a new handset on us", but now find they want over £900 for an upgrade!

I realise they'll take my old handset and pay off the (less than half) I still owe on that (which is virtually the same as O2 Refresh, which I already had!). In fact, that scheme loses me money as I can sell the handset for almost 33% more than what O2 are offering!
If I do that, I still have to pay the full price to upgrade, which means I can "terminate early on us", but definitely not upgrade on O2! Again, does this not sound like O2 Refresh?
Anyway, I'm running a poll on Twitter, and with almost 2 dozen votes in under half an hour, it seems more than 7 out of 10 people feel the same way!

I'm taking the matter to Ofcom, the Ombudsman and Trading Standards, I just wanted to see if others feel the same way!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The T&C of this offer were very clear

That after 12 months o2 would buy you out of the current refresh tariff (device plan) and leaving you the option to upgrade to a new handset as normal. The on us to me meant that I did not have to pay the early upgrade fee of £300 (which for me is now 9 days away)

On us to me is the £300 I will dig out the T&C in a bit.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 9

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Toby the t&c are not reachable http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/rewards then http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/rewards/30gb-data-tariff-12-month-upgrade-offer-terms-and-con... gives an error yet they are referd to as being valid in this new version http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/rewards/yearly-upgrade-terms-and-conditions

nor in the archive http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/archive/promotions

but found it here http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/archive/iphone/30gb-data-tariff-offer-with-purchase-of-iphone...

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 9

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

this part of the t&c is the relevant section

Where any upfront payment is required as part of the upgrade then this will be payable by the Customer as per the terms and conditions applicable to such upgrade. 

This 12 Month Upgrade Offer will only apply to the Existing iPhone O2 Refresh Agreement and not to any subsequence upgrade.

Subsequent upgrades will be subject to the terms and conditions in place at the time of the upgrade.

Apple Watch series 4

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

The hole thing is crap as can only upgrade in store so in my case iPhone 6s Plus looking to upgrade to 7 plus but as no stock and ongoing stock issues not likelihood to happen this year . Contacted o2 no can not pre order and will not get credit for extra payments to hand set which could be £105 if 3 months so I'm pretty hacked off a lot of hype over the fact that can upgrade on us but it's tuff if no stock !,,

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im in the same boat, I completely agree - feel completely done over by 02 and im stuck with a 6s and £360 left to pay and £64 a month bills

Message 6 of 9

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Did mine instore and got credit of the one off payment as well as the CCA Paid off my 6s went for 7 black 128gb. Now the t&c say no refund but it  looks like if in credit once device plan paid you do get money back . So may not be as bad waiting for the handest you want  lets see what happens

Apple Watch series 4

Message 7 of 9

richieb10
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
It's a year to the day I took out my current contract with,, I was told in the shop that I get fee upgrade after 12 months,, today I'm told that the deal I took never had that offer with it and there's nothing they can do,,, been with these for 10 years and they get worse every year,,, I've had it with them according to them I have to pay off the device to leabe, , they are the worst ones to be with, get a better tariff deal on vodafobe pay as u go 1,,,, time to get away from thsee and I would tell the world if any is thinking of becomING an 02 customer ,,, dont do it'' so angry and all they did on the phone was basically call me a liar,, disgracefull company, no customer care, nothing just basically pay ur money for another 12 months as ur legally bound,,, (am I really? We shall see)...
Message 8 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@richieb10 your MyO2 will tell you if the tariff you took included that or not. If it isn't showing, you should have questioned it sooner I guess.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 9