cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Upgrade Scam

Anonymous
Not applicable

On 3rd April I received a missed call from 01744 410630 who said they were from the O2 upgrade and wanted to discuss my upgrade. Because my phone was due for upgrade within the next few months I called them back on voicemail ringback. Spoke to professional sounding lad who said he was from O2 and even went through my security questions and told me about my tariff usage. He told me that O2 would pay off my plan free of charge if I upgraded early and I could have the Samsung Galaxy S8+ if I paid a card payment upfront cost to the handset, so I jumped at the chance. He told me it'd cost about £79 for the handset. He then told me to sit tight and await my handset on 20th April. He told me that only half the payment would be taken from my card as the phone wasn't being rolled out but the other half would be taken when it was due to be sent out, which I thought was fair.

On 19th April I received aN o2 push text message from O2 PREORDER telling me my phone would be ready from it's Rainsford store (didn't know where that was?) and quoting a 24 digit order number. I smelled a rat and contacted o2 on there normal number immediately. O2 said it sounded strange as they had no record of my upgrade and the order number sounded too long. Also o2 do not take card payments over the phone. This caused me to immediately check my bank account and 2 separate payments amounting to over £103 were taken by BT and o2 respectively. I then reported the matter to o2 fraud dept and to my own bank as fraud. I then upgraded properly with o2 and now have my new s8+.

What worries me is that I keep receiving voicemail messages from the 01744 410630 number asking me to contact them about my upgrade? When you ring this number it sounds like an o2 answerphone message????

Can anyone at o2 tell me what's going on here? Is it possible for two separate departments of o2 to try upgrading me and does this 01744 410630 number sound like o2?

The bank has refunded me the payments that I paid over the phone to what I think is a scam company so I'm hoping that they weren't genuine (and not another department of o2 who don't talk to the main o2 for whatever reason if this is possible?) and I don't want any more nasty surprises.

Hope someone can put my mind at rest. Cheers.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MercedesS
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello guys,

We just wanted to let you know that this call appears to have come from ‘Communications Plus’, who are a Franchise of O2 who own 20 stores across the North of England and Wales.

The reason you will have been contacted by them is because previously you would have visited one of their stores and their upgrade team has tried to contact you to inform you of available options.

Their head office is based in Rainford, Saint Helens which is why they use a St Helens number, so can confirm this is not a scam.

For more information on Communications Plus, one of our franchises, check here www.commsplusltd.com

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Our advice is never to upgrade from a cold call no matter how good the offer. Opinions seem to support this being O2 but personally I doubt it, being a St. Helens phone number. Quite possibly however, a trusted partner and I would definitely stay away from any of those! 

http://www.unknownphone.com/search.php?num=01744410630

Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@MercedesS @Marjo can you check on this for @Anonymous ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Never upgrade from a cold call. How are they allowed to get away with this
Message 4 of 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Agree, never use a cold caller.
They get away because they generate money for the company they represent and there is little or no legislation/overseeing from a supervisory body...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 8

MercedesS
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello guys,

We just wanted to let you know that this call appears to have come from ‘Communications Plus’, who are a Franchise of O2 who own 20 stores across the North of England and Wales.

The reason you will have been contacted by them is because previously you would have visited one of their stores and their upgrade team has tried to contact you to inform you of available options.

Their head office is based in Rainford, Saint Helens which is why they use a St Helens number, so can confirm this is not a scam.

For more information on Communications Plus, one of our franchises, check here www.commsplusltd.com

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 6 of 8

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Thanks for the clarification @MercedesS though yet another company with access to our details ☹️

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you @MercedesS though Ive already reported this company who Ive never ever had any previous dealings with, to Action Fraud. It fits s.1 Fraud Act as they falsely represented being from O2 and habe had money from me that Ive not has refunded for a phone Ive never received. Hope they enjoy their criminal allegation. Id recommend any other victims to do likewise. Theyre also bringing O2 into disrepute by falsely representing theyre O2.
Message 8 of 8