Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Tried To Take Final Bill Direct Debit Twice

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Apologies in advance, this thread is probably going to be a mini rant rather than actually seeking help as I've already taken steps to hopefully resolve the situation as I'll cover at the end.

Woke up this morning to an email alert from my bank informing me a direct debit was taking me overdrawn and I would need to credit funds by 4pm or it would be unpaid. On checking in internet banking it appears O2 have taken my final bill of £365.12 out for a second time after collecting the payment successfully by direct debit on 28/04/2014. Obviously this has been done in error.

I've fired off an email to executive office (as this is quite a serious issue) seeking the following:

1. A letter from O2 admitting their error that I can provide to my bank in the hope that my bank will not charge me or report the missed payment to the credit reference agencies

2. A good will payment to compensate me as well as cover any charges in the event the bank does not accept number 1

3. An assurance that O2 will not report a missed payment to the credit reference agencies as a payment was not due as it had already been made

It's just as well that this was my final account to be terminated with O2 following price rises for all as if it wasn't I'd probably be leaving anyway following this

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Morning Dave.

We all deserve a rant at some point.

Yours seems well deserving.

Looking forward to a reasonable outcome.
Message 2 of 19

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Dave

I would also ring your bank and invoke the direct debit guarantee http://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/Pages/DirectDebitGuarantee.aspx showing them the fact it was already paid as per your bank statement.

And also pursue your action you have already taken

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It amazes me how the simple things can go so wrong, sometimes !!!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dave I agree with Adam, call the bank and do an indemnity claim to get your money straight back in your account.

Strange thing to happen though because if it's at a zero balance it simply wont do it, I'd be calling through to customer services to see why it's happened. Is Myo2 showing as being in credit now then?
Let us know what happeneds.
Message 5 of 19

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

I've received a holding response from exec office saying it will be looked into.

I did actually contact my bank this morning. The money hasn't actually been taken from my account as there were insufficient funds so it is going to bounce anyway. I could transfer money from savings and then seek a recall but that then puts me at the mercy of O2 or my bank refunding me and we go on holiday next week so I'd rather just let the direct debit bounce and deal with the fall out from that than risk being £365 down even though I shouldn't be under the direct debit guarantee. My bank isn't exactly known for their customer service, although the account I have with them is fantastic and pays me to bank with them, so it's a risk I'd rather not take when I need the money for spending money next week.

My bank said when I spoke to them that if the payment was taken in error then I shouldn't be charged when it is returned. I'm sure I will be charged still hence me requesting O2 provide me with a letter to admit their error which may strengthen my position with the bank if and when I am charged. If they do charge me it's only £10 so wont dent my finances as much as the prospect of being without £365 would.

My O2 does indeed currently show I'm £365 in credit (I've screen grabbed that as well) although that will change back to zero when the direct debit is returned

Message 6 of 19

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Good luck with this Dave, hopefully someone will take ownership and deal with this straightaway. We all know how these things can drag on because it gets passed from pillar to post. The credit file would also be my main concern.

Message 7 of 19

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

I also tweeted O2 this morning and they've just replied referring me to....... wait for it....... live chat ShockedShocked

I think I'll pass wink

Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
I hope you get this sorted ASAP Dave and live chat yeah right
Message 9 of 19

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions