Did you mean: 

O2 Travel

Jolyon
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,

Hope someone can advise since I’m struggling to contact an O2 rep.

I’ve incurred £35 data roaming charges after the following steps:

1. Plane landed SAN Francisco.
2. Phone turned on, data roaming switched off.
3. Arrive hotel connect to WiFi.
4. In O2 app add O2 Travel bolt on (removes Europe one).
5. Receive confirmation it is added and email saying the same.
6. Turned data roaming on.
7. Incurred charges.

I believe I should have added bolt on before travelling but didn’t, even so, everything fed back from app indicates it is on. I darent seitch data roaming back on and I’m scared there’s already a huge bill on the way which hasn’t made it onto my account yet.

Thanks for any help.
Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
You can still have the standard £4.99 a day travel bolt on in USA regardless of having one of the latest free tariffs.
The problem is that you should have waited 24 hours to use data after activating the bolt on, so you would have been charged £7.20 per mb until the point that your account updated.
If you contact customer services on the free number from abroad, I'm sure they will understand and refund you http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Jolyon

For O2 travel in US you would have needed the O2 Travel Inclusive bolt on which is only available on certain tariffs and phones https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-abroad

This should have been added before you left the uk

The O2 Travel Inclusive Zone Bolt On, included with selected O2 Refresh and sim only tariffs, lets you roam in 75 destinations at no extra cost. Your data, minutes and text allowances will work in our Europe Zone, just like they do at home. And you’ll get a daily allowance of 120 texts, 120 minutes, and data roaming, in 27 of our international O2 Travel destinations, including USA, Australia and New Zealand. So you can keep track of what’s going on at home, and share all your holiday pics, from the other side of the world.

If you’re not eligible, you can still pay a single fixed daily rate for O2 Travel. That’ll get you the 120 minutes, 120 texts and data you need, when roaming in all of our O2 Travel destinations.

Before the bolt on was applied you would have been paying International rates

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad#

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 14

MI5
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
You can still have the standard £4.99 a day travel bolt on in USA regardless of having one of the latest free tariffs.
The problem is that you should have waited 24 hours to use data after activating the bolt on, so you would have been charged £7.20 per mb until the point that your account updated.
If you contact customer services on the free number from abroad, I'm sure they will understand and refund you http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 14

Jolyon
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi.

As I said I believe it should have been applied before I left however I forgot. I applied it via WiFi (it’s just called O2 Travel on my list of options) and switch my data roaming on.

All I need to know really is, can I or can’t I use my phone. Is the £4.99 bolt on active and working or not?

How do I find out? The app says it is yet charges incur?

Thanks
Message 4 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@JolyonTo check, you could look into MY O2 and see if the bolt on has been applied successfully

http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

If not ...then you are paying international rates in the US

US international.PNG

You are best advised to turn roaming off (if no bolt on applied) Use WiFi only and turn voicemail off as well.

If no bolt on you could contact customer services and ask if they could apply it for you https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 14

MI5
  • 144138 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
After 24 hours it will be active but call as I said and O2 will confirm it for you.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@JolyonIf you are now past the 24 hr wait time to allow the bolt on to be activated you should be fine.

As I said if you have any queries then contact CS on the link I gave above. They will confirm whether its active or not

Edited to add the changes to O2 travel from June 2017 https://www.o2.co.uk/o2travelupdate

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 14

Jolyon
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks. The feedback seemed to indicate it was active immediately.

I don’t suppose you have the free number handy do you?

Also do you genuinely think they would refund. I’ve been with O2 for many years and I’ve never known that to count or them give me any money back?!

Thanks for your help.
Message 8 of 14

Jolyon
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks Cleoriff. MyO2 said the bolt on was active immediately after I added it. Will check via contact us link. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Appreciate it.
Message 9 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Jolyon wrote:
Thanks. The feedback seemed to indicate it was active immediately.

I don’t suppose you have the free number handy do you?

Also do you genuinely think they would refund. I’ve been with O2 for many years and I’ve never known that to count or them give me any money back?!

Thanks for your help.

@Jolyon

Free number here

From abroad+44 3448090202Free†

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 14