cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel, Simplicity and bolt-ons

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone is able to respond to what I assumed would be a simple question, but which O2's (borderline rude) Live Chat service and (less rude, but apparently just as lacking in knowledge) Twitter team seem unable to understand, let alone give a straight answer to.

I have a old Simplicity contract which includes an unlimited O2 to O2 minutes bolt-on (I don't have a smartphone, so this isn't about data). All I want to know is whether I can use these unlimited minutes in Europe as part of O2 Travel (after the 50p connection charge), or whether I only have the right to use my standard monthly allowance. All the publicity and FAQs say that customers can use 'their normal minutes', which I think is ambiguous, and no one at O2 seems to be able to tell me explicitly one way or the other.

Many thanks.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

OK - so for these purposes, I take it that no distinction is made between a bolt-on and an allowance (as I said, I got the contract a while ago and back then they were clearly distinct, but maybe the divide is now narrower). Still, if any O2 lawyers are reading this, I can't help feeling that 'your monthly allowance on your tariff' at http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/o2travel-paymonthly-terms-and-conditions could be defined a bit more precisely (I assumed it meant my monthly minutes, but possibly not the extra bolt-on!). On the other hand, presumably after Tuesday it won't matter anyway.

Thanks again!

Yeah, your contracted minutes and your bolt-on is classed as your overall "allowance".  There's no real distinction other than your bolt-on being removable if you wanted it removed (although I wouldn't see why anyone would want to...).

So relax and enjoy your holiday - just remember the 60minute restriction!.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Online chat is unreliable even at the best of times. Call 202 from your phone, which is a free call, and speak to someone in Customer Services. It's your best chance of getting a straight answer.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

And please let us know the response - I have no idea Smiley Embarassed

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - I assume I'll be charged yet another 50p to call 202 from abroad (where I am now) but maybe it will be worth it. The thing is, I'm not that confident they'll be able to tell me immediately, as I'm beginning to get the impression that I'm the only person who has ever wondered about this, unlikely though this seems!

Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me make some enquiries and get back to you.

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, been chatting to a few departments within O2 and there are two answers to the question.  The first is what happens between now and Tuesday.  The second is what happens from Tuesday onwards.  This is because there are some changes afoot which start on Tuesday. (This might be why the confusion).

From Now Until Tuesday

If you have unlimited mins, or unlimited O2 to O2 calls:  You will be charged a 50p connection fee and then nothing else as your minutes will cover the call - however you need to hang up and redial every 59th minute to avoid any charges.  If you go over the 60 minutes, its then 35p per minute.  Incoming - same 50p charge, same 60 minute restriction.

If you have limited mins (ie 300, 600 etc): 50p connection fee, nothing else as long as a) you hang up after 59 mins and redial and b) you don't run out of minutes.  If you do either - 35p per minute over.  Incoming - same 50p charge, same 60 minute restriction.

http://www.o2.co.uk/international/o2-travel/pay-monthly

From the O2 website:

"Pay Monthly

Relax. You can use your mobile in Europe without worrying about huge bills. Talk for longer and use the web without worrying about over spending. Now you're in control.

How does O2 Travel work?

• You'll only be charged £1.99 for the days that you use data in Europe.
  • There's a connection charge of 50p for all calls made and received in Europe. When you make a call you'll be using your UK minutes for the first 60 minutes and for Calls received you get up to 60 minutes free. Terms apply."

From Tuesday Onwards

A small but important change.  50p connection fee still in place, 60 minute restriction still in place, but nothing comes out of your inclusive O2 allowance.  Still 35p per minute if you go over the 60 minute restriction.  Incoming - same 50p charge/60 minute restriction.

The website should be updated on Tuesday to reflect the change.

Hope that helps slight_smile

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you: that is enormously helpful!

If I could ask for one clarification: strictly speaking I don't have unlimited O2 minutes, but rather a limited minutes allowance AND a bolt-on that gives me unlimited O2 to O2 minutes. Do you know if this bolt-on is treated, for the purposes of O2 travel, as equivalent to having unlimited O2 minutes as part of my contract (at least until Tuesday!)?

On the other hand, if you think this is just a technicality (and in any case it only matters until next week), then please feel not to take it any further. My contract was one of the earliest Simplicity ones and has one or two other features that I don't think are usual now, so that may explain why the question proved so hard to answer.

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you: that is enormously helpful!

If I could ask for one clarification: strictly speaking I don't have unlimited O2 minutes, but rather a limited minutes allowance AND a bolt-on that gives me unlimited O2 to O2 minutes. Do you know if this bolt-on is treated, for the purposes of O2 travel, as equivalent to having unlimited O2 minutes as part of my contract (at least until Tuesday!)?

On the other hand, if you think this is just a technicality (and in any case it only matters until next week), then please feel not to take it any further. My contract was one of the earliest Simplicity ones and has one or two other features that I don't think are usual now, so that may explain why the question proved so hard to answer.

Hi

Sorry thought that I had clarified in my previous post.  Basically (up until tuesday) whatever free allowances you have (unlimited mins, or unlimited o2 to o2 calls) - then you don't have to worry about anything other than the 50p connection fee and the 60 minute limit.  If you have a limit on either regular calls or o2 to o2 calls then you need to take that into account that if you run out you'll then get charged 35p per minute for anything over.

From tuesday, you only have to worry about the 50p connection fee and the 60 minute limit, as nothing comes from any allowance until then.

In your case, say you have 600mins to any other network and unlimited o2 to o2 :- well then any non o2 to o2 calls will be limited to 600mins before you get any charges, assuming you stick to the 60 min limit.  All o2 to o2 calls would be free, again assuming you stick to the 60 min limit.  And then from Tuesday onwards you only have to worry about the 50p connection fee and the 60 minute limit.

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK - so for these purposes, I take it that no distinction is made between a bolt-on and an allowance (as I said, I got the contract a while ago and back then they were clearly distinct, but maybe the divide is now narrower). Still, if any O2 lawyers are reading this, I can't help feeling that 'your monthly allowance on your tariff' at http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/o2travel-paymonthly-terms-and-conditions could be defined a bit more precisely (I assumed it meant my monthly minutes, but possibly not the extra bolt-on!). On the other hand, presumably after Tuesday it won't matter anyway.

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks again!

Yeah, your contracted minutes and your bolt-on is classed as your overall "allowance".  There's no real distinction other than your bolt-on being removable if you wanted it removed (although I wouldn't see why anyone would want to...).

So relax and enjoy your holiday - just remember the 60minute restriction!.

Message 10 of 10