cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel Inclusive Zone -- which countries can be called/texted ***to*** for free?

HohohoTwo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The O2 Travel Inclusive Zone is described as "a daily allowance of unlimited texts, minutes, and data roaming in 27 of our international O2 Travel destinations".

What can the daily allowance of unlimited texts and minutes be used to make calls/send texts to?

Just within the country I'm in?

The country I'm in and back to the UK?

Any country in the O2 Travel Inclusive Zone and back to the UK?

Any country in the world?

Also, just double-checking: the data allowance is unlimited, i.e. this is better than EU roaming (where the allowance is my plan's allowance, or 25 GB, whichever is lower) and doesn't eat into my plan's allowance?

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7072 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Just to phones within the country you are visiting and calls and text to and from the UK

Data speeds are often throttled to 2 mbps

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Enlli
  • 7072 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Just to phones within the country you are visiting and calls and text to and from the UK

Data speeds are often throttled to 2 mbps

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 20

HohohoTwo
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks.  What is your source for this (local+UK only)?

And can you confirm the data is unlimited, albeit throttled, and does not come out of my allowance?

Message 3 of 20

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37203 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

Take a read here, @HohohoTwo h and use the search bar at the top of this page, sorted by Date.

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

Guide:International Calling From UK - Versus Roaming abroad 

Good luck!

Message 4 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146687 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions

@HohohoTwo 

O2 no longer specify exactly what calls are include, instead just state data use.

You’ll get a daily allowance of Unlimited minutes, texts and data when you roam in our O2 Travel Inclusive Zone. There’s no cap on data, but we’ll manage traffic and may need to slow down speeds depending on usage, and all allowances are subject to our Fair Usage policy. Calls and texts to premium rate numbers and other special numbers are not included.       

From here O2 | O2 Travel in our Inclusive Zone

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 20

Enlli
  • 7072 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

With calls it is the same arrangement as roaming in the EU and the same as it has been for some time, that is Within the country in which you are roaming and to and from the UK

Message 6 of 20

MI5
  • 146687 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions

@Enlli wrote:

With calls it is the same arrangement as roaming in the EU and the same as it has been for some time, that is Within the country in which you are roaming and to and from the UK

Yes, that's how it used to be although we have reports on here of people being charged for calls within the roaming country outside of EU.

The rules still apply for EU roaming and is specified as such in the terms. Not so for use outside of EU.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 7 of 20

HohohoTwo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, all. I took the plunge and stayed on hold for about 30 minutes on 202 to speak to someone and get the following:

1) The rules for the O2 Travel Inclusive Zone are not spelt out anywhere, but they are the same as for the O2 Travel Bolt-On, https://www.o2.co.uk/international/o2-travel , which include:

You can make unlimited calls back to the UK and within your destination. Calls to other countries aren’t included and will be charged at standard roaming rates.

(I assume this also covers texts. There's also a "data speeds are capped at 2Mbps" which I'm not sure applies (I don't seem to remember it being that slow).)

So @Enlli was right.

2) The unlimited data does not eat into your plan allowance (I think I can confirm this from my recent trip: my phone says I've consumed about 1 GB more than "my O2" says I have).

Message 8 of 20

MI5
  • 146687 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions

Good to have it confirmed officially but still strange they removed it from the T&C's.

But this is O2 after all so shouldn't be surprised.

Message 9 of 20

HohohoTwo
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Enlli wrote:

Incidentally, I do not think this particular bit is accurate as regards EU roaming.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/roaming-in-europe says:

What’s included at no extra charge?
  • Making calls and sending texts within our Europe Zone (excluding the UK), to any other country in our Europe Zone (including the UK).

i.e. in the Europe Zone it's calls/texts to any country in that zone, not necessarily the one you're in.

Message 10 of 20