Did you mean: 

O2 Switch Up and Cooling Off Period

Coupec
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

just wanted some clarification on the cooling off period for switch up. Legally speaking, it’s a new contract so does that mean we have 14 days to cancel after we receive our new phone after trade in? Cheers!

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148695 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@Coupec 

Simple answer is yes, you can.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
  • 125579 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7546 Solutions

@Coupec 

According to these terms and conditions, yes you are able to change your mind within 14 days

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/o2-switch-up 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 14

Coupec
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Messed up response, see later post.

Message 3 of 14

Coupec
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for replying! 

I’ve seen these but they say change handset which isn’t what I’m aiming for. After having a very bad experience with customer service, which is something I moved to O2 to avoid after dealing with Three for many years, I’ve decided I want to leave. Now I can’t find an answer for the costs for that. Legally speaking I’m sure I should be able to leave without having to pay a fee due to the fact in all the legal documents and T&Cs the wording is very specific that this is a “new” contract and that your old one is paid off when your old handset is handed back. So legally speaking that would also mean I could walk away without an early termination fee? As would be my legal right under consumer law. I feel like this might be a huge loophole that maybe hasn’t come to light yet? I mean contracts are all about wording and here I'm not sure the wording holds up when challenged in this regard. Anyway I’ve asked here because I’m obviously not completely sure and need clarification or if this is legally correct.

Message 4 of 14

MI5
  • 148695 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@Coupec 

Simple answer is yes, you can.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 14

nikc0069
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've been told by the shop it reverts to the old contract, but have been told by 202 you can do it.

Message 6 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 125579 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7546 Solutions

@nikc0069 

The shop staff need a lot of training sadly.

All you need to know is here Guide: Introducing O2 Switch Up. Swap phones whenever you want! 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 14

nikc0069
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I guess that won't help me if the staff in the shop refuse to do it though! Maybe I'll call another store.

Message 8 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 125579 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7546 Solutions

@nikc0069You could refer them to the guide I linked to.

Although a different shop sounds a better idea.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 14

nikc0069
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Spoke to another fairly local shop and they confirmed I can do this. So it looks like it is just a case of my normal shop not knowing the ims and outs. Must say seems a bit of a loophole that you can use switch up to get out of a contract but I suppose they at least get some months out of you and then resell the handset.

Message 10 of 14