Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Switch Up Question

Jay1972211
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have O2 Switch Up but just wanted to check with something as can't find anything in the FAQ.

When do they check whether you can get a new device?  As I am aware its basically just taking out a new contract and my credit record isn't perfect by any means.

What I am getting at is do I hand the device back and then they look at what I want? As I am concerned if I did that then couldn't get a new contract I would be stuck without a device. Or do they just give you it back if you can't get a new one or whatever?

Also what about billing, I have literally had my bill produced today. Does that matter?

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mobilemandan
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 59 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

I have seen how it works a few times.  They load your account up and click upgrade, let you pick the new phone and new plan and then select if you are keeping the old phone and paying off the device or using switch up to discount it to £0.

They scan the IMEI of the device you are giving back and inspect to make sure its not damaged.  They ask if you can afford the monthly payments as an 'Affordability Check' and then bring through the till to give you a receipt.

The credit check dosnt seem to be a full one that gets declined or accepted, once you are with O2 as long as you keep paying the bills and confirm you can afford the new payments it goes through, it will show on your credit file as a loan I believe due to the financing but does not really give the decline/accept situation if that makes sense.  Basically if you have not missed any payments and confirm you can afford the new charge monthy you will get the switch up

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11620 Posts
  • 64 Topics
  • 3163 Solutions

@Jay1972211 

You are signing a new contract and airtime agreement, so a credit check and affordability check will be done, as per the FCA guidelines on consumer credit agreement, the only thing that will stop you using switchup is if you have missed any payment though.. If you haven't all should be good. 

You hand the phone back, and start the new contract straight away, if they dont have the phone in stock, then nothing happens...

Your billing will be pro rated..

--
iPhone 16 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 2 of 10

Jay1972211
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

Thanks for replying. That is what I was asking. What if you hand the phone back and can't get a new contract or do they do the contract first then you hand the phone back?

Message 3 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149616 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

@Jay1972211 

No one here would know the exact answer to that specific question.

I'd advise you to ask in store before proceeding with any changes.

Guide: Introducing O2 Switch Up. Swap phones whenever you want! 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 10

mobilemandan
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 59 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

I have seen how it works a few times.  They load your account up and click upgrade, let you pick the new phone and new plan and then select if you are keeping the old phone and paying off the device or using switch up to discount it to £0.

They scan the IMEI of the device you are giving back and inspect to make sure its not damaged.  They ask if you can afford the monthly payments as an 'Affordability Check' and then bring through the till to give you a receipt.

The credit check dosnt seem to be a full one that gets declined or accepted, once you are with O2 as long as you keep paying the bills and confirm you can afford the new payments it goes through, it will show on your credit file as a loan I believe due to the financing but does not really give the decline/accept situation if that makes sense.  Basically if you have not missed any payments and confirm you can afford the new charge monthy you will get the switch up

Message 5 of 10

Jay1972211
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you very much, that was pretty much what I was looking for. Someone that had been through the procedure.

I have only been with them a month but I am not really happy with the phone I got and this seems to be the best way to get something I think will be a lot better for me.

Message 6 of 10

Jay1972211
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Out of interest did you take the box in etc or just the phone? I assume you don't need to take the sim?

Message 7 of 10

Jay1972211
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Went down this morning. Was just like mobilemandan said. Really straightforward.

Message 8 of 10

iancarr
  • 17 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

so if i have bad credit as long as my O2 account is paid on time each month will it still go thru, seems to be lots of conflicting info depending on who u ask at O2, i have been told by one agent no credit check just id check and check on O2 account being up to date, then another agent said full credit checks are done on switch up

left me so confused that i did not want to chance it and ending up with no handset

Message 9 of 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126113 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

@iancarr 

Just read the response from @mobilemandan which is HERE 

As long as you haven't missed a payment, you should be fine.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 10