cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Store scam?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I have a question I could do with some advice on.

I recently upgraded at an o2 Store. I usually use o2 open to take 25% off my air time as my work place has regesterd to the sheme.

However in store the agent told me if I trade in my old phone he was able to take 50% off my air time, what a great deal I thought and went for it. Today I receieved a text saying I have been added to o2 friends and family discount but is this not only for o2 staff members?

And to think of it i didnt receve any recepit for trading in my old phone. (pretty sure I did last time I upgraded).

Has the store member pocketed my old phone and applied his friends and family discount to my account to take the money off?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

No they can't take it off even if the employee leaves O2.
The only time you'll lose it is if you upgrade your contract, then you'd have to re apply for it.

The different O2 schemes are explained here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/O2-Open-amp-Friends-and-Family-discounts-H...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
It certainly sounds like they have used their discount entitlement but if you recycle your phone the credit would usually be applied to your account, so check if you have any bill credits in your MyO2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2 but they might need a few days to show up so may not be there immediately.
I seriously doubt you have been scammed though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions
No scam.

Each member of staff gets a number of discounts to give to friends and family. But of course there is no way to determine if they are actual friends and family so they can be used to close a deal. They shouldn't but it does.

Probably a case of a internal promotion or the advisor is low on recycles for the month.

Enjoy the 50% off your airtime.
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahh ok, thanks for your help makes me feel better.

I was worried that the 50% could be taken off any time? Then I'd be a phone down and left with an eye watering monthly bill.

Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

No they can't take it off even if the employee leaves O2.
The only time you'll lose it is if you upgrade your contract, then you'd have to re apply for it.

The different O2 schemes are explained here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/O2-Open-amp-Friends-and-Family-discounts-H...

Currently using:
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

50% off... I’m well jel!

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Friends with benefits wink

Currently using:
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I think I would be enquiring about a possible F&F discount if I was upgrading in the store......😉

Message 8 of 8