cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 SIM problem with iPhone 8 - please help!

CC81
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Please can anyone help with a SIM problem I’ve got?

I have two O2 SIM cards. One in an iPhone 6s, the other in an iPhone 8.

The older SIM works in either phone. The newer SIM (recent replacement by O2) will only work in the iPhone 6s.

The older SIM is PAYG. The newer SIM is Pay Monthly (had the same number for years - but O2 replaced the SIM due to a fault). Had the iPhone 8 for 2.5 years; used with the Pay Monthly account. No problems until now. It has never been locked to another provider.

When I go to Settings > General > About, it says Network 'not available' and 'phone not allowed'. I have only ever used O2 with this phone, so it doesn't make sense.

Obviously, I want to use the newer SIM (my main number, Pay Monthly) in the iPhone 8 (my main phone).

Any ideas???! I’ve tried O2 technical support, who had no idea what to suggest.

This is a full timeline of what happened:

• Mon 20/06/22 - Phone and SIM working fine (as they have for the last 2.5 years)

• Tue 21/06/22 - Couldn't receive verification texts. Reported to O2. The adviser said there were no problems, but could send me a replacement SIM. I said I didn't really want a replacement SIM, but no harm sending one, just in case. The adviser then accidentally actioned a SIM swap straight away (which I didn't want). This was the start of the problems.

• Wed 22/06/22 - The verification texts came through, so the problem was solved. But then my current SIM was deactivated (which I wasn't expecting). I contacted O2 again and asked them to reverse the SIM swap.

• Thu 23/06/22 - I still had no service, so I contacted O2 again. They had accientally also put a bar on my account (without telling me). They said they would remove it.

• Fri 24/06/22 - I still had no service, so I contacted O2 again. We decided to try the replacement SIM, so the SIM swap went ahead again.

• Sat 25/06/22 - Still no service, with the replacement SIM.

• Sun 26/06/22 - I tried the SIM in another handset (iPhone 6s) and it worked straight away. I also tried my PAYG O2 SIM in the iPhone 8, which also worked straight away.

So... the SIM is fine, as it works in another phone. The iPhone 8 is fine, as it works with another SIM. I just want to know how to get them to work together!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Sounds like a right mess @CC81 !

As you have tried several times to resolve this with customer services, I'll ask the community gurus to step in to help.

Can you see if you can do anything @O2Georgina @O2Ryan ?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 7

CC81
  • 15 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much 😀  Yes, it's been a very frustrating week!

I suspect that the same adviser who mistakenly deactivated my original SIM may have also changed my account settings somehow (as they seemed unsure of what they were doing).

Message 3 of 7

CC81
  • 15 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@gmarkj - Do you think I should try another board? Tech Support, maybe? 

Nothing from the O2 Gurus yet 😥

Message 4 of 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

No they should have been in touch via PM (private message) on the community @CC81 .

I will ask the ones on tomorrow to get in touch.

@O2Ryan @megjess can you please help?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 7

CC81
  • 15 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you 😄 No private messages yet, but I'll keep checking.

@O2Ryan @O2megjess I would really appreciate your help pray 🙂

Message 6 of 7

CC81
  • 15 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

SOLVED: @megjess investigated and found that there was a restriction on my account that meant I couldn’t use the SIM with my iPhone 8 (even though it worked with my 6s). 

It was escalated to a tech team and seems to be working at last, after 10 days!!! 

I think the first adviser I spoke to messed up and created all kinds of problems on my account. I never had any problems before this (I’ve had the same number and iPhone 8 for years). 

Hooray for the O2 Community! 

Message 7 of 7