cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Refresh - was I ever on it - and what are the upgrade options?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone can clear this up for me, as I've had a different response from two chat agents, and over the phone to customer services.

In August, I took out a pay monthly contract via the O2 website - as my previous credit history hasn't been perfect I decided I'd pay in full for the handset when placing the order - hopefully increasing my chance of being accepted and also lowering my monthly bills. So here I am, two months later, up and running nicely.

When I log into MyO2, it says I can upgrade now (there are no upgrade options listed) - I've read as much as I can about Refresh and it seems that as long as your device plan is paid up, you can upgrade... not according to customer services. I've had the following responses:

1) Chat agent - I can upgrade only after 6 months of my current contract - there will be no termination fees

2) Chat agent - I can upgrade now but I'd need to pay the remaining 22 months of my airtime plan

3) Phone agent - I cannot upgrade until the remaining 22 months of my airtime plan are completed, but I could pay a termination fee on the plan and apply for a brand new contract.

It clearly states on the O2 website that once a device plan is paid off, the airtime plan is waived. information here

Now, when I log into MyO2, it says I'm on a Sim-Only 24 month plan. Does this mean that because I didn't pay monthly for the device I was never actually on a Refresh tariff because I completed full payment in advance?

I am interested in upgrading to alternative handset and passing mine onto a family member that's all. However if it's not possible, that's fine, I'd just like to understand what the rules are, as it's confusing me.

Thanks

Simon

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144142 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27614 Solutions
If you are on a SIMO it means that you never had a refresh contract to start with, so forget anything to do with upgrading paying off etc, but, you can upgrade to a refresh contract now (after 3 months actually, so November).
T&C's here https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/rewards/sim-only-upgrade-to-refresh-after-3-months-terms-and...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous.

Please check out the link listed below which should answer any questions you have:

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/upgrades/o2-refresh-explained

Hope the above link provides all the information you need but please let us know if we can be of any further help.

Welcome to the forum Wave.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 5

MI5
  • 144142 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27614 Solutions
If you are on a SIMO it means that you never had a refresh contract to start with, so forget anything to do with upgrading paying off etc, but, you can upgrade to a refresh contract now (after 3 months actually, so November).
T&C's here https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/rewards/sim-only-upgrade-to-refresh-after-3-months-terms-and...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that - I should have checked with the team in the store really at the time. I assumed that by paying for the device in full would give me all the benefits of O2 Refresh, showing that I'd paid the device plan - but I think that's the thing - there never was a 'plan'. I guess if I'd have walked away with the phone 'free of charge' at the time, then paid it off in full a few days after, it would be different.

It's essentially a SIMO and a PAYG handset it seems.

That clears it up for me though, thank you.

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 144142 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess if I'd have walked away with the phone 'free of charge' at the time, then paid it off in full a few days after, it would be different.

It's essentially a SIMO and a PAYG handset it seems.

Yes and yes.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 5